The best strawberry shortcake recipe! This fruity dessert is made with buttery chocolate shortcake, filled with fresh strawberries, whipped cream and more chocolate! You’ll love this simple strawberry dessert year-round but especially in the summertime with fresh strawberries! This recipe is so simple yet perfect even for a special occasion.
Watch My Shortcake Video!
Watch my video for step-by-step instructions and all the details. Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake
Shortcake is so easy and fun to make!
- First up, the chocolate shortcake itself. I start with a buttery, not-so-sweet biscuit that’s dotted with chocolate chips and seasoned with just a hint of nutmeg and cinnamon. Shortcakes are made similarly to scones, with the cold butter being cut directly into the dry ingredients. This keeps the cake very buttery and flaky.
- I also use buttermilk for this recipe to bring the dry ingredients together. Fold in the chocolate chips last. Just scoop the chocolate shortcake onto a baking sheet and bake till golden.
- Once the buttery biscuits are cooled, slice them in half and fill them with sliced strawberries and fluffy whipped cream. You can make your own whipped cream or even use store-bought cream if you’re in a pinch for time.
- Add two layers of sliced strawberries for extra berry flavor. If desired, drizzle melted chocolate over the top of the strawberry shortcakes for more chocolate flavor! Want even more strawberry flavor? Add a few tablespoons of my ‘Strawberry Rhubarb Jam’ to the top!
Make Ahead Instructions for Shortcakes
These strawberry shortcakes are best enjoyed as soon as you have them assembled so the biscuit stays buttery. This dessert is also easy to prepare ahead of time! Just bake the biscuits and allow them to cool. Keep the cooled biscuits in an airtight container. Prepare the whipped cream and keep it refrigerated. When you’re ready to serve, simply add the sliced strawberry, whipped cream and it’s ready to go! Serve some extra whipped cream on the side, too!
Enjoyed this easy strawberry dessert? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Easy Strawberry Shortcake Cake – simple and elegant strawberry cake with vanilla cake layers, whipped cream and loads of berries!
- Strawberry Cupcakes – the best berry cupcakes, with diced strawberries, topped with strawberry buttercream!
- Strawberry Cream Puffs – a fruity twist on a classic! These profiteroles are filled with a fluffy strawberry cream!
- White Chocolate Raspberry Scones – chocolate-y and fruity scones filled with raspberries!
- Bakery-Style Blueberry Scones – my all-time favorite recipe, with double the blueberry flavor! Extra fluffy and buttery!
Share it on Pinterest!
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Recipe (video)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon each: cinnamon, nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and soda, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or forks, cut the cold butter into the flour until it resembles fine crumbs. Pour in cold buttermilk and fold it in using a spatula. Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips and mix just until combined; do not over-mix batter!
- Scoop large scoops of batter onto baking sheet, spacing them a few inches apart. Bake in preheated oven until edges and top are golden brown. Remove onto cooling rack and let cool completely.
- While biscuits are cooling, prepare the whipped cream. Place cream, vanilla and confectioner’s sugar into mixer bowl and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form.
- To assemble dessert, split the biscuits in half with a sharp serrated knife. Top with sliced fresh strawberries, followed by a heaping amount of whipped cream. Serve immediately!
- Note: if not serving right away, keep biscuits covered. Prepare whipped cream only when ready to serve!
- Enjoyed this recipe? Please consider leaving me a comment or rating review to help my blog!