Triple Chocolate Scones (video)
The best scones recipe for breakfast! My buttery triple chocolate scones are made with three types of chocolate for the most chocolate flavor! I use dark, milk and white chocolate in this recipe to add the most flavor. These scones are buttery, delicate and extra chocolate-y!
Watch My Chocolate Scones Video!
Watch my step-by-step video tutorial for all the details and watch me make these scones! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Triple Chocolate Scones
Scones are a unique type of pastry made primarily with butter and flour, plus different flavorings and toppings. They can be made both sweet and savory!
- For my triple chocolate scones, always start out with cold butter. The butter needs to be ‘cut’ into the flour/dry ingredients, until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. You can do this using a pastry cutter, food processor or two large forks.
- Once you have this mixture ready, add the wet ingredients. This scone recipe yields very buttery and rich scones!
- Once you have the basic scone dough ready, add in the chocolate! I used three types of chocolate for this recipe: white, dark and milk chocolate. Gently fold in the chocolate and shape the scones; try not to overwork the dough.
- After baking, add even more chocolate flavor by drizzling melted chocolate over the scones!
Common Recipe Questions
Can I make chocolate scones ahead of time?
Yes, these are great for making ahead of time! You can make the dough even days in advance and keep it wrapped in plastic and refrigerated until you’re ready to bake.
How to store scones?
Cool the chocolate scones completely, then place them into an airtight container and store them at room temperature.
Enjoyed my easy chocolate scones recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Orange Cranberry Scones – buttery, fluffy, bakery-style scones dotted with tons of cranberries and topped with a simple orange glaze!
- Ham & Cheddar Scones – made with chunks of ham and cheddar cheese!
- White Chocolate Raspberry Scones – with freeze-dried raspberries!
- Keto Cranberry Scones – with orange zest and zero added sugar!
- Bakery-Style Blueberry Scones – my all-time favorite recipe, with double the blueberry flavor! Extra fluffy and buttery!
Share it on Pinterest!
Triple Chocolate Scones (video)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt, about 1/8th teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, cold
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 bar of white chocolate, chopped into smaller pieces
- large sugar crystals
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine together all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Remove butter from refrigerator once it’s ready to be added. Use pastry cutter to cut butter into the flour mixture, until it resembles fine crumbs. This step can also be done using a food processor.
- Make a well in the flour and add the egg, vanilla and sour cream. Use a spatula to combine all the ingredients until a soft dough forms. Add the chocolate and mix until uniformly distributed throughout the dough.
- Turn dough out on to lightly floured work surface. Shape in to a large, flat disk, about 3/4-inch thick. Use a sharp knife to section dough into 8 equal pieces. Brush the top of the dough very lightly wit water and sprinkle with sugar crystals.
- Transfer shaped scones onto prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 16 to 18 minutes until golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven and let cool on cooling rack. Serve warm or wait for scones to cool then garnish with melted chocolate.
[…] View Recipe Link […]
Simple and yet delivers amazing flavor! It’s super quick and easy to make, which makes this a great recipe for lazy weekend mornings. These are also ingredients that most people have in their fridge and pantry anyway, so no extra trips to the store. The sour cream gives it that extra ‘oomph’ and keeps the center of the scone very moist. As for the variety of chocolate chips, I just used whatever was leftover in my pantry; milk chocolate and dark chocolate chips. Came out great and everyone loved it! Great breakfast or lunch option with some really good tea. We prefer black tea or red tea prepared in our trusty double kettle.
I’m very glad that you enjoyed these scones! They are great with tea! 🙂
I followed this recipe to a T but my dough was sticky. 🙁 what did I do wrong?
The dough will be slightly sticky, that’s okay. If it’s too sticky, adding a bit more flour will not hurt the recipe. Hope they still turned out well for you.
I’m so happy I stumbled upon your recipe! I’m actually about to make these right now, but I was wondering: how long can I keep/store these? Thank you so much!! I love your recipes!
I’m glad you found my recipe! These will keep well for a few days. Once they’re cooled, just keep them stored in an airtight container.
These are delicous!!! ESPECIALLY right from them oven, my kids and i couldnt stop eating them fresh! thanks alot for your recipe!
🙂 They are amazing out of the oven! I love making them on weekend mornings with coffee!