The best scones recipe for breakfast! My buttery triple chocolate scones are made with three types of chocolate for the most chocolate flavor! I use dark, milk and white chocolate in this recipe to add the most flavor. These scones are buttery, delicate and extra chocolate-y!
Watch My Scones Video!
Watch my step-by-step video tutorial for all the details and watch me make these scones! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Triple Chocolate Scones
Scones are a unique type of pastry made primarily with butter and flour, plus different flavorings and toppings. They can be made both sweet and savory!
- For my triple chocolate scones, always start out with cold butter. The butter needs to be ‘cut’ into the flour/dry ingredients, until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. You can do this using a pastry cutter, food processor or two large forks.
- Once you have this mixture ready, add the wet ingredients. This scone recipe yields very buttery and rich scones!
- Once you have the basic scone dough ready, add in the chocolate! I used three types of chocolate for this recipe: white, dark and milk chocolate. Gently fold in the chocolate and shape the scones; try not to overwork the dough.
- After baking, add even more chocolate flavor by drizzling melted chocolate over the scones!
Common Recipe Questions
Can I make chocolate scones ahead of time?
Yes, these are great for making ahead of time! You can make the dough even days in advance and keep it wrapped in plastic and refrigerated until you’re ready to bake.
How to store scones?
Cool the chocolate scones completely, then place them into an airtight container and store them at room temperature.
- Ham & Cheddar Scones – made with chunks of ham and cheddar cheese!
- White Chocolate Raspberry Scones – with freeze-dried raspberries!
- Keto Cranberry Scones – with orange zest and zero added sugar!
- Bakery-Style Blueberry Scones – my all-time favorite recipe, with double the blueberry flavor! Extra fluffy and buttery!
Share it on Pinterest!
Triple Chocolate Scones (video)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt, about 1/8th teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, cold
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 bar of white chocolate, chopped into smaller pieces
- large sugar crystals
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine together all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Remove butter from refrigerator once it's ready to be added. Use pastry cutter to cut butter into the flour mixture, until it resembles fine crumbs. This step can also be done using a food processor.
- Make a well in the flour and add the egg, vanilla and sour cream. Use a spatula to combine all the ingredients until a soft dough forms. Add the chocolate and mix until uniformly distributed throughout the dough.
- Turn dough out on to lightly floured work surface. Shape in to a large, flat disk, about 3/4-inch thick. Use a sharp knife to section dough into 8 equal pieces. Brush the top of the dough very lightly wit water and sprinkle with sugar crystals.
- Transfer shaped scones onto prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 16 to 18 minutes until golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven and let cool on cooling rack. Serve warm or wait for scones to cool then garnish with melted chocolate.