Sharing another easy and delicious summer grilling beef recipe today! These teriyaki beef skewers with home-made teriyaki sauce are killer good! I love to make these with flank or skirt steak and marinate them overnight for the best results. Serve these beef skewers with a side of rice, a salad or with grilled veggies!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details and step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
The Teriyaki Sauce
I use one home-made recipe for teriyaki sauce for all my Asian-inspired recipes and this beef recipe is no exception! It’s super easy to make and I know exactly what’s in. It’s also really easy to adjust the amount of sugar and other flavors. It’s made with just a few simple ingredients: soy sauce, sesame seed oil, brown sugar, rice vinegar, minced garlic and ginger. I like to use pre-minced garlic and ginger puree to save time! Find the puree ginger in a tube in the refrigerated section of your grocery store.
Preparing the Beef Skewers
The home-made teriyaki sauce is also the marinade in this recipe. Once the meat is done marinating, just pour the sauce into a saucepan and cook for a few minutes. I like to brush the sauce onto the beef while it’s grilling AND serve some extra on the side! You guys will love this simple and easy recipe! If you’re planning to make this recipe for a get-together, plan to make a double batch because these beef skewers will go quickly! Garnish the teriyaki beef skewers with sesame seeds and chopped green onion for a bit of color.
Enjoyed this easy and delicious recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Try my ‘Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry’ next! This recipe is also made with my home-made teriyaki sauce and is packed with incredible flavor (and veggies!)
- And these ‘Teriyaki Chicken Wings’ are so delicious and they’re not fried!
- Hawaiian Teriyaki Meatballs are made with pineapple! You’ll love the amazing flavors!
- My ‘Easy Teriyaki Salmon’ recipe can be enjoyed with rice or salad.
Share it on Pinterest!
Teriyaki Beef Skewers (video)
- 1 1/2 pounds flank or skirt steak
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1/2 tsp EACH: garlic powder, onion powder, ginger
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- chopped green onion, for garnish
- 12 to 15 bamboo skewers
- Prepare the teriyaki marinade first. Combine in a large bowl the soy sauce, water, oil, sugar, vinegar and spices. Whisk and set aside.
- Use a sharp knife to prepare the steak: trim any silverskin and fatty parts. Slice the steak into long, 1-inch wide strips. Place the sliced steak into the prepared marinade, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. For best results, refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours, or overnight. Turn the beef every couple of hours.
- While the beef is marinating, pre-soak the bamboo skewers in water to prevent the wood from burning. Preheat an outdoor grill to 475F; or stove-top grill to medium-high. Skewer each strip of beef, one to two pieces per skewer. Grill the beef for 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- While beef is grilling, finish preparing the teriyaki sauce. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and bring up to a simmer over medium heat; simmer for 5 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water, then add the slurry to the sauce. Whisk and cook the sauce for 1 minute, until the sauce is thickened. Use a pastry brush to add more sauce to the beef skewers.
- Garnish the beef with sesame seeds and chopped green onions when serving; serve immediately.