Have you ever had savory french toast? It’s like French toast and grilled cheese sandwiches had a baby! These warm sandwiches are made with cheese-stuffed French bread that is dipped into a savory egg mixture, then grilled to perfection. I love to serve this easy breakfast recipe with a side of young persian cucumbers, heirloom tomatoes and sliced avocado. Once you try this easy and delicious french toast with melted cheese, you’ll want it for breakfast everyday! This breakfast sandwich is a great alternative to a traditional breakfast – it’s great for breakfast on the go and a great addition to any weekend brunch menu.
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details! Want to receive new recipe updates? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
My mom used to make this savory French toast very often when we were kids. She would make it for breakfast on the weekends, or as an afternoon snack for when we got home from school. I’m using her recipe today and adding some spices to the egg mixture for more flavor – smoked paprika, garlic and parsley. The aroma of this French toast on the stove top is simply mouth-watering! You’ll want to make extra because you won’t be able to have just one!
How It’s Made
Savory toast is just as easy as regular French toast, just made without the sugar! The first step is preparing the simple egg custard, into which we’ll dip the bread into. It’s super easy to make with just milk, eggs, butter and seasonings!
- Slice a loaf of French bread into thick slices. Thin slices will be too soggy! Dip the bread into the prepared custard until the bread is well-soaked.
- Layer on the cheese! For my video recipe, I used sliced havarti cheese – feel free to change up the cheese and use your favorite variety!
- Also, try adding sliced ham or even bacon along with the cheese to create an amazing breakfast sandwich with a twist!
- Grill on both sides over low heat until the savory toast is golden brown! Enjoy hot!
Looking for more easy breakfast recipes? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- The Best French Toast – seriously amazing sweet toast made with buttery brioche bread!
- Avocado Toast – try creamy avocado toast, prepared 5 different ways! So many great options to choose from!
- Quail Egg & Prosciutto Toast – this elegant and delicious toast is made with salty prosciutto, egg and avocado!
- Next, try my ‘Loaded Breakfast Burritos’! These are SOO good and perfect to make ahead for breakfast on the go!
Please share and save it to Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
I love this over-sized measuring cup – it doubles perfectly as a mixing bowl!
Here’s a great stove top griddle for making sandwiches and pancakes. This electric version is great, too.
My favorite bread slicer knife from Wusthof. It’s great for cutting cakes, too.