The aroma of French toast baking in the morning is simply heavenly! My Berry French Toast recipe is the way I like mine – baked in the oven, then loaded with tons of fresh berries, maple whipped cream and maple syrup! I love making a large batch of fluffy maple whipped cream to add on top! If you don’t have maple syrup extract for the cream, a few tablespoons of syrup will work well, too. It’s the perfect way to start the day, especially on a weekend! And you can prepare this breakfast recipe the night before and bake it in the morning!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe updates? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Baked French Toast Tips
For this baked French toast recipe, I use a loaf of day-old French bread – it soaks up the custard mixture very well! The key to making great French toast is to make sure the bread is thoroughly soaked with custard. As the toast bakes in the oven, the custard will cook and transform the bread.
And don’t forget to put the ‘very berry’ into this berry French toast! Feel free to top off this dish with your favorite fruit! I love berries so I used a combination of raspberries, blueberries and strawberries. This breakfast recipe would also work great with fruit such as nectarines, peaches, and even mango!
The Best Breakfast Dessert!
I have to admit, I have a serious obsession with French toast. I love the warming aroma of cinnamon and caramelized sugar and the sweet flavor of the toast with maple syrup. It’s always been one of my all-time favorite breakfast recipe since early childhood! If my husband and I are out for breakfast or brunch, we always order a side of toast to finish off our meal!
Looking for more breakfast recipes? Check out some of these delicious ideas!
- My ‘BEST French Toast’ recipe really is the best!
- If you love a very berry breakfast, try my ‘Baby Dutch Pancake’ recipe next!
- Love your French toast with a bit of chocolate? Try my ‘Nutella French Toast’ stuffed with nutella on the inside!
- And try this savory ‘Cheese & Egg Toast’ stuffed with loads of melt-y cheese!
Love this recipe? Save and share it to Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
Baked Berry French Toast Recipe (video)
- 1 loaf day-old French bread
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- Fresh berries
For Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare the custard. Whisk together the milk, eggs, melted butter, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, make the cinnamon sugar. Combine the brown sugar, white sugar and add a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg, then mix together.
- Slice the french bread into 1/2-inch thick slices. First, submerge each slice into the custard until well soaked. Then sprinkle each slice with cinnamon sugar. Layer into a medium-sized baking casserole. Pour any remaining custard over the top and sprinkle with additional cinnamon sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and add fresh berries on top, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar and serve with maple syrup.
- Optional (but delicious!): for the whipped cream, whisk the chilled heavy cream and sugar on high speed until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl, cream together the softened cream cheese and maple syrup. Add it to the whipped cream, and whisk until light and fluffy.