Hands down, the best ever teriyaki chicken breast with a homemade teriyaki sauce recipe! This is the one and only recipe I’ve used for years! It’s very easy to make, aromatic and JUICY! You can use this chicken breast recipe with juicy chicken thigh or even chicken drumsticks or party wings! The sauce is so delicious and easy to make, with ginger, garlic, sesame seed oil and soy sauce! Enjoy this chicken with salad, rice or steamed veggies! Try it with my new Asian Chicken Salad!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions for my easy chicken recipe! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
This teriyaki chicken breast recipe starts with the most incredible homemade teriyaki sauce recipe. I use the same sauce to marinate the chicken, cook it and glaze it! It’s made with soy sauce, water, brown sugar, sesame seed oil, rice vinegar, ginger and garlic. Just mix all the ingredients together in a small measuring cup or bowl and it’s ready to be used. This sauce can also stand in the refrigerator for up to 1 week if you wish to use it for another recipe.
Preparing the Chicken
You’ll love how easy this chicken recipe truly is! The end result is amazing – super juicy and tender chicken that just melts in your mouth! Just a few easy steps to follow to make this incredible chicken!
- Marinate: Once you have the sauce ready, it’s time to marinate! Arrange the chicken in a large casserole tray and pour the sauce over the top. Allow the chicken to marinade in the prepared teriyaki sauce for a minimum of 1 hour, turning the chicken after 30 minutes. Ideally, I recommend marinating the chicken overnight. The longer the chicken marinades, the more flavor it will absorb!
- Pan-Fry: After the chicken is marinated, take it out of the marinade and pat it dry with paper towels. This will allow the chicken to brown better. Preheat a large frying pan with a bit of oil until it’s super hot. I recommend using a stainless steel or cast iron pan for best results. Add in the chicken breast and brown it on both sides, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken and then let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Finish in the Oven: Transfer the chicken into a preheat oven set to 425F/218C. Finish cooking the chicken in the oven, turning just a few times. The timing all depends on the size of your chicken breast. Larger pieces can take 15 to 18 minutes, but smaller cuts can be ready as soon as 8 minutes. I recommend using a meat thermometer and make sure the temperature reaches 165F/74C.
- Finishing the sauce: Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and transform the sauce into a glaze! Just add in a cornstarch slurry to the pan and let the sauce thicken and simmer for a minute. Then, return the chicken back into the pan and coat in generously in the finished sauce!
Easy Cleanup Tip!
Want less dishes to wash after dinner? Try using two ziplock bags instead of a casserole tray to marinate the chicken! I recommend doubling up the bags so nothing leaks into your refrigerator. Drop the chicken breast (or thighs or drumsticks) into the bag and pour in the prepared homemade teriyaki sauce. Seal the bag and try to get as much extra air out of the bag as possible. That’s it! Just let the chicken marinade! Once it’s done, take the chicken and make sure to reserve the marinade for later.
What Cut of Chicken to Use?
For my video recipe, I used 4 large and juicy chicken breasts. This incredible chicken breast recipe can also be used with other cuts of chicken. Try this recipe with 6 bone-in or boneless chicken thighs; 6 to 8 chicken drumsticks; or even 18 to 20 chicken party wings. Whichever cut of chicken meat you use, the instructions will stay about the same. Pan-fry the thighs, drumsticks or party wings, then add the remaining sauce and finish in the oven. Make sure to temperature check the meat! It needs to reach 165F/74C no matter the cut of chicken!
This teriyaki chicken breast is so delicious and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways! I love this chicken with my Asian Chicken Salad. Try serving it simply with a side of steamed veggies and a bowl of steamed white or brown rice. You can also try it with my ‘Easy Mushroom Rice’ for an incredible flavor experience! It’s also great with noodles!
Enjoyed this delicious chicken recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry – the best ever stir fry recipe with the same teriyaki sauce, loads of veggies and optional noodles!
- Teriyaki Chicken Wings – easy chicken wings recipe with delicious sauce! Great appetizer recipe!
- Teriyaki Salmon Bowl – delicious salmon cooked with teriyaki sauce, served with veggies and rice!
- Ginger Garlic Lamb Chops – the most delicious lamb chops prepared with a ginger garlic glaze!
- Asian Chicken Salad – enjoy this chicken with my new delicious salad recipe!
Share it on Pinterest!