If you’re a caramel lover, you’re going to love this stunning Dulce de Leche cake! This caramel cake is all about that caramel! Three cans of dulce de leche are used in this recipe: one for the cake layers, one as a filling and one for the salted caramel buttercream! The salted caramel buttercream is my favorite part – it rounds off all the sweetness of the cake layers. This epic cake is finished with crystalized sugar garnishes, which are so fun to make! It’s the perfect caramel cake for a special occasion!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions and learn how to make the caramelized sugar garnish! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Crystalized Sugar
And let’s talk about the spectacular garnish! I had this crazy idea to add broken pieces of crystallized sugar on the sides and the idea turned out even better than I imagined! It takes this dulce de leche cake to a whole new level, making this cake simply epic! To make the sugar garnishes, you’ll need just 2 ingredients: sugar and water. The sugar is cooked over medium heat until it reaches a deep amber color, then it’s poured over a baking sheet and allowed to cool. It’s super easy and fun to make! Here are a few more tips:
- Do not stir the sugar and water! Just pour both into a small saucepan and let the heat do the trick. Stirring the sugar will cause the crystals to form.
- Caramelized sugar will be VERY HOT! Handle the syrup with extreme care! Allow the sugar to cool completely before breaking it into smaller pieces.
- Add the crystallized sugar garnishes to the cake when you’re ready to show it off! Don’t leave them on overnight, otherwise they will start to melt.
All About the Caramel!
For this recipe, I used three cans of dulce de leche! This thick caramel sauce is made by cooking sweetened condensed milk in the can over low heat for several hours. You can by the caramel premade and ready to use.
- If you can’t find dulce de leche for this recipe, I recommend using my ‘Homemade Caramel Sauce’ recipe instead.
- It will also work well for the ‘Salted Caramel Buttercream’. I have a separate video recipe for the buttercream if you want to get more details!
Love all things caramel and looking for more? Check out these delicious caramel recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Caramel Coffee Macaron Cake – essentially a huge macaron in cake form!
- Almond Roca Cake – I love everything about this stunning caramel and toffee almond cake!
- Apple Pie Caramel Cheesecake – caramel cheesecake topped with the best apple pie filling!
- Raspberry Caramel Mousse Cake – stunning caramel mousse cake with raspberry center!
Enjoyed this recipe? Please share and save it to Pinterest!