The most aromatic and delicious braised lamb shanks recipe! If you enjoy lamb, you are going to love this easy and hearty recipe! The lamb shanks are braised in a red wine tomato sauce with lots of fresh herbs and garlic. The meat becomes extra tender and falls right off the bone! Make it a meal by adding some pillowy gnocchi into the sauce when the lamb is done. This lamb recipe is restaurant quality dining at home!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video for step-by-step instructions for making this easy dinner dish! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How It’s Made
Making braised lamb is a breeze with my easy recipe! First, season the shanks generously with salt and pepper, then brown the lamb shanks all over to add more flavor. Next, prepare the sauce with herbs, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, red wine, garlic and onion. This red wine sauce is so delicious and I highly recommend adding the wine for the best flavor. If you prefer not to use wine, beef broth will also work well.
Once you have the sauce ready, add the lamb back into pan and then let it simmer away! The longer, the better! I recommend slow-simmering the lamb for maximum flavor. Turn the lamb shanks occasionally so they cook evenly. After braising away in this aromatic sauce for a few hours, the meat literally falls of the bone. The braised lamb meat will simply melt in your mouth! There’s something magical about this dish!
To make it a meal, I added some pillowy potato gnocchi and tossed it in the tomato sauce. You can also use any type of pasta, such as penne or elbow pasta. Don’t want pasta? This braised lamb is amazing served over mashed potatoes, too! I also like to serve a light spring salad on the side to refresh the palate.
- Braised Beef Short Ribs – the best recipe for fall-off-the-bone, extra tender short ribs in a red wine tomato sauce!
- Lamb Roast Dinner – super easy and delicious one-pan dinner recipe!
- Roasted Leg of Lamb – the juiciest and most aromatic roasted whole leg of lamb, perfect for holidays!
- Ginger Garlic Lamb Chops – my signature lamb recipe! Beyond amazing!!
- Grilled Lamb Chops – garlic and herb grilled lamb chops with tzatiki sauce. These are beyond amazing! So juicy and flavorful!
Share it on Pinterest!