This roasted lamb dish is so delicious, hearty and warming; the perfect kind of comfort food recipe! My easy lamb roast dinner with baby potatoes and carrots comes together in minutes, requires just a few ingredients and can be prepared several ways: traditional oven, slow-cooker or pressure cooker. You can also use this recipe with beef instead of the lamb! This super easy, one-pot dinner recipe is bound to become a family favorite! We like to enjoy it as our Sunday roast dinner!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for easy step-by-step instructions for making this roast dinner! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Lamb Roast
I love making this recipe because it’s super easy to put together! Always start by preheating the oven to 400F/205C so it’s ready to go. Next, prepare the meat. I like to purchase Costco’s grass-fed boneless leg of lamb from New Zealand for this recipe and others. The bone is already removed, which makes things so much easier! Prepare approximately 3 pounds of lamb, cutting it into 1-1/2 inch pieces – larger chunks work better for this recipe. This roast dinner can also be prepared with beef using tri-tip or chuck roast.
Next, it’s time to brown the meat. I recommend doing this in batches so the meat gets well browned and caramelized and doesn’t stew in the pan. First, preheat a large braising pan over medium-high heat, add a bit of oil and brown the meat for 7 to 8 minutes, seasoning generously with salt. Next, add in the carrots, potatoes, onion, red wine, seasonings and toss everything together. It’s that simple!!! If you don’t want to use wine, beef or veggie broth will also work great!
Methods of Preparation
As much as I love to use a traditional oven and let the lamb roast dinner bake for a few hours, I know not everyone has the time! Here are a few ways of preparing this dish!
- For traditional oven preparation, preheat the oven to 400F as soon as you get started. Roast the lamb and potatoes for 2 hours, keeping it covered the entire time. Half way through at the hour mark, use a wooden spoon or spatula to toss the ingredients.
- For slow-cooker, follow the recipe as written and transfer the browned lamb and the rest of the ingredients into a slow cooker. Cover and set the temperature to ‘HIGH’ for 5 to 6 hours. Stir once about 4 hours in.
- For pressure cooker, follow the recipe as written and combine all the ingredients in your pressure cooker. Set the cooker to a beef/lamb/meat setting and pressure cook for approximately 30 minutes.
Enjoyed this easy lamb roast dinner recipe? Check out some of my other favorite comfort food dishes!
- The BEST Beef Stew – seriously amazing beef stew that will have you coming back for seconds!
- Stewed Beef & Potatoes – a hearty Ukrainian recipe for stewed meat!
- Easy Potato & Chicken Casserole – my favorite chicken casserole! Super easy!!
- Warming Beef Chili – incredible recipe for beef and bean chili!