The best, most aromatic and delicious braised lamb shanks recipe! If you enjoy lamb, you are going to love this easy and hearty recipe! The lamb shanks are slow-braised in a red wine tomato sauce with lots of fresh herbs and garlic. The lamb becomes extra tender, falling right off the bone! Make it a meal by adding some pillow-y gnocchi into the sauce when the lamb is done. This lamb recipe is restaurant quality dining at home!
Watch My Lamb Shanks Video!
Watch my video for step-by-step instructions for making this easy dinner dish! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Braised Lamb Shanks
Making braised lamb is a breeze with my easy recipe!
- First, season the shanks generously with salt and pepper, then brown the lamb shanks all over to add more flavor.
- Next, prepare the sauce with herbs, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, red wine, garlic and onion. This red wine sauce is so delicious and I highly recommend adding the wine for the best flavor. If you prefer not to use wine, beef broth will also work well.
- Once you have the sauce ready, add the lamb back into pan and then let it simmer away! The longer, the better! I recommend slow-simmering the lamb for maximum flavor.
- Turn the lamb shanks occasionally so they cook evenly. After braising away in this aromatic sauce for a few hours, the meat literally falls of the bone. The braised lamb meat will simply melt in your mouth! There’s something magical about this dish!
Serving Braised Lamb with Gnocchi
To make it a meal, I added some pillow-y potato gnocchi and tossed it in the tomato sauce. You can also use any type of pasta, such as penne or elbow pasta. Don’t want pasta? This braised lamb is amazing served over mashed potatoes, too! I also like to serve a light spring salad on the side to refresh the palate.
- Braised Beef Short Ribs – the best recipe for fall-off-the-bone, extra tender short ribs in a red wine tomato sauce!
- Lamb Roast Dinner – super easy and delicious one-pan dinner recipe!
- Roasted Leg of Lamb – the juiciest and most aromatic roasted whole leg of lamb, perfect for holidays!
- Ginger Garlic Lamb Chops – my signature lamb recipe! Beyond amazing!!
- The Best Shepherd’s Pie – delicious classic comfort food dish, with saucy ground lamb filling and parmesan potatoes!
Share it on Pinterest!
The Best Braised Lamb Shanks (video)
- 2 to 3 lamb shanks
- 1 1/2 cups diced canned tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 small onion, diced
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon each: fresh chopped rosemary; thyme leaves
- kosher salt; ground black pepper
- 1 package gnocchi or other pasta
- Season the lamb shanks generously with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Preheat a large frying pan over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Brown the shanks on all sides; remove and set aside.
- Reduce the heat on the pan and then add the diced onion and garlic. Sweat for a few minutes until tender, then add the fresh herbs and fennel; cook for another minute.
- Add the wine, diced tomato and tomato sauce and stir to combine. Return the lamb shanks back into the pan, cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the meat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, turning every 20 minutes to cook meat evenly. Cook until meat reaches desired tenderness. If the liquids evaporate too quickly from your pan, add 1/2 cup water and stir.
- Remove shanks from pan onto a plate and keep warm. Prepare gnocchi according to package instructions. If making them ahead of time, coat the gnocchi in olive oil to prevent sticking! Toss the gnocchi in the tomato sauce and serve with braised lamb.
- If desired, can also add some grated Parmesan cheese on top!