One of my favorite tea sandwich recipes! This classic version made with ham, salami and cheese is perfect for everyday meals and for special occasions! These easy tea club sandwiches are made with toasted baguette coated in creamy mayonnaise and topped with tomato, cucumber, cheese, smoked ham and salami. You’ll love the classic flavor combination! Plus, this appetizer recipe is super easy to make! You can scale this recipe up or down depending on how many sandwiches you need.
Ingredients for Tea Club Sandwiches
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make these easy sandwiches:
- Bread: You can use a variety of breads such as French baguette, classic white bread, brioche bread, or even mini croissants!
- Tomatoes & Cucumber: sliced tomatoes and cucumbers add freshness and crunchiness to these sandwiches.
- Sliced Cheese: use a mild cheese for these sandwiches, such as white cheddar, Havarti, muenster or provolone.
- Mayonnaise: a classic spread for these classic sandwiches.
- Ham: I like to use smoked honey ham. You can also use regular ham or even turkey ham.
- Salami: use cured salami, dry coppa or even prosciutto.
Preparing the Bread
The first step to making these tea club sandwiches is preparing the bread or the base. You can use a variety of breads such as French baguette, classic white bread, brioche bread, or even mini croissants! I typically make these with thinly sliced and toasted rustic baguette. The thin and crispy bread goes so well with the toppings.
- Just slice the baguette into 1/3-inch slices and place onto a baking pan.
- Brush the top of each slice lightly with olive oil and then broiler for a few minutes. It’s the fastest way to toast a large amount of bread!
- I also really enjoy them with the mini croissants. Just slice the croissants in half and toast them under the broiler for few minutes until golden.
How to Make Tea Club Sandwiches
Here’s how to assemble these easy sandwiches:
- Bread: toast your choice of crostini base first and keep the bread warm.
- Spread: Traditionally, club sandwiches are made with mayonnaise and that’s how I like to make this appetizer recipe! Once the bread is toasted, I spread a generous amount of creamy avocado oil mayonnaise onto each slice. If you want to try this recipe out with different spreads, try a creamy and zesty garlic aioli or even a smoked chipotle aioli. The extra flavor will only make these tea sandwiches that much better!
- Vegetable Toppings: To break up the richness of the ham, salami and cheese, I love to add some veggies to these tea club sandwiches! I thinly slice a few slicing tomatoes and Persian or cocktail cucumbers and layer them between the bread and the meat toppings. The cucumber is so refreshing and crunchy! You can also add thinly sliced shallots or even a small lettuce leaf to the mix!
- Meats: Choosing the right meats and toppings for these tea club sandwiches is key! When I make these for myself, I love to use thinly sliced, uncured, smoked ham. The smoky ham adds so much great flavor! Since the ham typically comes in larger pieces, I cut the slices in half or quarters so they fit nicely onto the sandwich. Try rolling the ham and securing it with a toothpick to create more visual effects! Next, add on some delicious salami! Go with the variety that you like best; pre-sliced is always the easiest to use! You can also use dry coppa or even prosciutto for this recipe. And, try adding some rendered bacon for the ultimate club sandwich experience!
- Cheese: And you don’t forget the cheese! The cheese is a must with this appetizer recipe! I love to use semi-hard cheeses for these sandwiches, such as white cheddar, Havarti, gouda or even smoked gouda. Cut the cheese into small squares or triangles to fit the sandwich nicely.
Serving Tea Sandwiches
Once you have the club sandwiches assembled, it’s best to enjoy them right away. The sliced tomato can make them a little soggy. Place them onto a platter and enjoy! If you do want to make them ahead of time, place the sliced tomato onto a bed of lettuce. The lettuce will keep the tomato juices from making the bread soggy.
Enjoyed this recipe? Check out some of my other tea sandwich and crostini recipes! This recipe is part of my ‘5 Easy Crostini Recipes‘ series!
- Smoked Salmon Tea Sandwiches – a classic tea sandwich with smoked salmon, creamy cheese and cucumbers! Always a favorite!
- Garlicky Beet Crostini – another one of my favorites! Creamy roasted beet spread with garlic and dill, on toasted baguette with crumbled goat cheese!
- Prosciutto & Burrata Bruschetta – super easy appetizer with creamy burrata, tomato bruschetta and prosciutto on garlic bread! Yum!!
- BLT Club Sandwich – the BEST classic BLT club sandwich with bacon, avocado and a smoky chipotle spread!
- Garlicky Zucchini Tomato Crostini – one of my favorites! Crispy baguette topped with garlic mayo, fried zucchini and tomatoes!
Share it on Pinterest!
Easy Tea Club Sandwiches
- 1/2 large, thin baguette
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 6 large slices smoked ham
- 12 slices uncured salami
- 2 slices Havarti or white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 large slicing tomatoes, thinly sliced
- This recipe can easily be scaled up or down depending on how many tea sandwiches you desire. First, prepare the bread. Thinly slice the baguette into 1/3-inch slices. Next, brush the bread very lightly with olive oil and then place the pan under the broiler for a few minutes.
- Next, spread mayonnaise onto each slice and top with the sliced tomatoes. Add the cheese and cucumber next. Roll or fold the ham and salami and then use a toothpick to secure the sandwich together.
- Enjoy the sandwiches right away.
Want to stay connected and up to date? Make sure to subscribe to my website and YouTube channel and turn on notifications!