I consider this incredible BLT club sandwich with avocado the best of the best!! If you love a good, delicious sandwich recipe, this recipe is for you! It’s stacked with lettuce, tomato, ham, cheese, onions, eggs, bacon and avocado! Plus, I’m sharing an easy chipotle mayo spread that will take this sandwich to another level! After you try this sandwich, no other will compare!
Watch My Club Sandwich Video!
Watch my YouTube video recipe for step-by-step instructions and watch me make this sandwich! Want to stay up to date on new recipes? Make sure to subscribe to my newsletters and to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
What Makes a Good Club Sandwich?
It’s all about the combination of flavors that make this sandwich my favorite! A classic club sandwich is made with three slices of toasted white bread and the typical sandwich ingredients: lettuce, tomatoes, ham, eggs and cheese. I take my club sandwich recipe up a notch and also add avocado, bacon and a smoky spread.
Easy Chipotle Spread
I love all things smoky and flavorful so I love to add a smoky chipotle mayonnaise spread to my club sandwiches! It’s super easy to make and takes just seconds! I mix together a bit of mayo with coarse mustard and a bit of garlic powder, smoked paprika and chipotle chili powder. This spread is also great for cheeseburgers and other sandwich recipes!
Ingredients for a Club Sandwich
This sandwich is all about the fillings! Here’s what I love in my BLT club sandwich with avocado:
- Romaine Lettuce – big, leafy lettuce looks so pretty! Plus, it’s crispy and refreshing!
- Heirloom Tomatoes – especially during the summer months, these tomatoes are the best for this sandwich recipe!
- Smoky Turkey/Pork Ham – I love to use thinly-sliced, mesquite smoked turkey ham for my sandwich.
- Cheese – I used muenster cheese in my video recipe but I also like this sandwich with Havarti, white cheddar or provolone. You can use any type of cheese you like!
- Onion – my husband loves onion in his sandwiches so I add some thinly sliced red onion or shallots to my recipe.
- Eggs – a traditional club sandwich always has eggs! I went with sliced hard-boiled eggs. You can also fry an egg and use it in place of the boiled eggs.
- Bacon – crispy, smoky, greasy bacon is a MUST for this club sandwich! I like to have at least 3 slices per sandwich. If you need a lot of bacon, try preparing it in the oven. Just line a baking sheet with foil, add a wire rack and add the bacon on top. Bake at 425F until the bacon is crispy.
- Avocado – although avocado isn’t in the ‘classic’ recipe, I love to add it to everything, including this sandwich! The creaminess is so good here! You can also use guacamole for this recipe.
- Mayonnaise – a creamy spread is a must for this sandwich!
What Type of Bread Do I Use?
You’ll need three slices of bread for this sandwich. Since it’s already pretty tall, I recommend going with thinly sliced bread. My top choices are white or sourdough bread. You can also use multi-grain of whole wheat for this club sandwich.
- Always toast your bread!! I like to toast mine on a baking sheet using my oven broiler. Toast the first side, then turn the bread and toast on the other side, too.
How to Make a BLT Club Sandwich
Once you have all the ingredients sliced, mixed and toasted, it’s time to put this sandwich together! Here’s how I do it:
- First, I use a spatula to spread a generous amount of the chipotle spread onto my toasted bread.
- Add lettuce onto the first and second layers, then add tomato onto the first slice of bread.
- Next, I add a layer of turkey ham, followed by a slice of cheese and the red onions, if desired.
- Add that second slice of bread with the lettuce, then add the sliced, hard boiled eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the bacon over the eggs, then the sliced avocado and the final piece of bread on top. Viola!
Can I Make This Club Sandwich Ahead of Time?
Yes, this is a great sandwich it to make ahead of time for a picnic or for work/school lunch. Just leave the tomatoes on the side since they will make the bread soggy. I like to place them into a little ziplock bag, then add them when I’m ready to enjoy the sandwich.
What’s the Best Time to Serve it?
This BLT sandwich is great almost any time of the day! I love to enjoy it for lunch, dinner or even as an appetizer. And, it makes for a great lunch to-go, for work and for school! Confession time – I love to order a club sandwich late at night from the room service menu whenever I’m on vacation!
Enjoyed this amazing sandwich recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- BLT Breakfast Sandwich – one of my favorite breakfast sandwiches, with a sunny-side-up egg, avocado and bacon!
- Club Tea Sandwiches – want smaller sandwiches to enjoy as appetizers? These tea sandwiches are so delicious!
- Homemade Salmon Burgers – juicy salmon patties with a creamy spread, avocado, cucumbers, and more!
- King Crab Rolls – the best crab rolls ever, with brioche bread and smoky garlic butter!
- Crispy Fried Fish Sandwich – The most delicious fish sandwich with crispy fried mahi mahi, cabbage slaw, garlic aioli spread and avocado!
Share it on Pinterest!
Classic BLT Club Sandwich with Avocado
- 6 slices white bread, whole grain or sourdough
- 6 to 8 slices smoked bacon
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 red onion, or shallot
- 2 slices Muenster cheese, provolone, havarti or white cheddar
- 10 slices mesquite turkey ham, or smoked ham
- 4 to 6 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
For Chipotle Mayo Spread:
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp mustard, coarse or ground
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Prepare the bacon first. For 6 to 8 slices, use a large frying pan. Add the bacon into the cold pan, then preheat over medium heat, cooking the bacon until it’s crispy. For more slices, use the oven. Linea baking sheet with foil, add a wire rack and place the bacon over the wire rack. Bake the bacon at 425F until it’s crispy and golden.
- Meanwhile, prepare the hard-boiled eggs. Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil, then add the eggs using a spoon. Cook the eggs for 10 minutes, then drain and drop into a bowl of ice water to cool. Once cooled, peel and slice the eggs.
- Next, prepare the spread. Combine the mayonnaise, mustard and spices in a small ramekin and stir to combine.
- Prepare the vegetables. Wash and dry the romaine lettuce. Thinly slice the tomatoes, avocado and red onion.
- Toast the bread using a toaster or the oven broiler. Place the bread onto a large baking sheet and broiler on high for a few minutes, until the bread is toasted and golden. Turn the bread over and toast the other side, too.
Assembling the Sandwich:
- To assemble the sandwich, use a spreader and apply a generous amount of the chipotle mayo onto each slice. You’ll need 3slices of bread per sandwich; you can apply the spread onto both sides of the middle slice.
- Add lettuce onto the first and second bread slices. Add the sliced tomatoes, turkey (or pork) ham, sliced cheese and sliced onion, if desired. Add the second slice of bread, topped with lettuce. Add the sliced hard-boiled eggs, bacon slices and sliced avocado. Top with final piece of bread, then use a sharp, serrated knife to split the sandwich in half or into quarters. Enjoy immediately.