Creamy, aromatic beef stroganoff over egg noodles is a true classic! This delicious beef pasta recipe is my take on the traditional Russian recipe. I make my version with thinly-sliced beef tenderloin, sliced mushrooms and plenty of onion and garlic! You’ll love the creamy and aromatic sauce, too! It’s an easy dinner dish you can have ready in under 30 minutes, so it’s great even for a busy week night.
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want new recipe updates? Subscribe to my YouTube channel to get a notification each time a new recipe goes live!
How to Make Stroganoff
Traditionally, a cheaper cut of beef or ground beef is used for this beef stroganoff recipe. It’s braised for a bit to make it more tender. I love using beef tenderloin tip sliced thinly for the best texture and flavor. It really cuts down on the cooking time and it’s so tender! Most traditional recipes also call for sour cream. Instead of the classic sour cream, I use white wine and milk in this recipe for a creamier and more aromatic sauce! The white wine adds a great flavor profile to the sauce. If you prefer to cook without wine, simply add beef broth.
Traditional Russian Cuisine
Beef stroganoff is a traditional Russian and Slavic dish. I’m sure every Slavic household has their own version of beef stroganoff! My mom used to make this dish with ground beef and sometimes even add carrots to the sauce. The carrots add a little bit of sweetness to the recipe. No matter which way you prepare this dish, it’s bound to be delicious!
Find this delicious recipe in my new cookbook, Beyond Borscht! This book has 75 traditional recipes including salads, soups, appetizers, main entrees and desserts. Get your copy today!
Enjoyed this delicious beef dinner recipe? Make sure to check out some of my other traditional recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Stewed Beef & Potatoes – tender chunks of beef simmered in a tomato sauce with potatoes!
- Classic Beef Borscht – the best ever borscht with loads of beets and tender chunks of beef!
- Meatballs with Mushroom Sauce – the best meatball recipe with creamy mushroom sauce and mashed potatoes!
- Russian Salmon Coulibiac – the most delicious fish pastry ever with flaky salmon, mushroom rice and a zesty dill and lemon sauce!
- Stuffed Meat & Rice Peppers – sweet bell peppers stuffed with ground beef and rice and cooked in a tomato sauce!
Share it on Pinterest!
Delicious Beef Stroganoff Recipe (video)
- 1 pound wide egg noodles
- 1 pound beef tenderloin tip, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 10 to 12 mushrooms, sliced
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon EACH: salt, black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk or cream
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh dill
- Prepare the egg noodles according to package instructions and keep warm.
- Preheat a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add a splash of olive oil and the thinly sliced tenderloin. Season with a pinch of salt and saute until golden brown and cooked through. Remove the meat from the pan; set aside and keep warm.
- In the same pan, melt the butter, then add the sliced mushrooms, onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and saute until onion and mushrooms are tender. Next, sprinkle the flour into the pan, stir to incorporate it and cook for a few minutes. Then pour in the wine, beef broth and milk. Allow the mixture to come up to a simmer, then add the prepared beef. Simmer for 7 to 10 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken.
- Sprinkle fresh dill over the sauce when ready to serve. Combine the sauce with the noodles and toss to coat.