Creamy and aromatic tomato basil pasta made with fresh tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese and cherry tomatoes! This fresh tomato pasta recipe is so easy and delicious! You’ll love the fruity tomato sauce made with sauce and cherry tomatoes, which add a fresh and sweet flavor to the dish. Top it off with parsley, basil and Parmesan cheese for the ultimate pasta recipe.
Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Making the Fresh Tomato Sauce
You’ll love how easy and delicious the fresh tomato sauce recipe is! It’s super quick to put together and you’ll have an amazing sauce in no time! Preheat a large frying pan with olive oil and saute the onion, garlic and tomatoes until they are tender. Season with salt and pepper, then add the remaining sauce ingredients: canned tomato sauce, milk or chicken broth and spices. Once the tomatoes are cooked and tender, add the fresh basil and take it off the heat. Transfer the sauce into a blender or food processor and puree into a fine sauce.
- For a creamy tomato sauce, use whole milk. If you want a dairy-free version, use chicken or vegetable broth.
Putting the Tomato Pasta Together
While you are preparing the fresh tomato sauce, also prepare the pasta. Cook the pasta just a few minutes short of al dente, then drain. I like to finish cooking the pasta in the prepared sauce! Once the sauce is done, add the prepared pasta to the pan and let it cook away for another 4 to 5 minutes. This way, the sauce will thicken from the pasta starches and the pasta will absorb some of the delicious flavor! This fresh tomato pasta can be topped with grated Parmesan cheese and more chopped basil!
Enjoyed this easy tomato pasta recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- The Best Lasagna Recipe – this amazing meat and cheese lasagna is the ultimate Italian comfort food dish!
- Smoky Pepper & Sausage Pasta – tomatoes and peppers come together for this delicious sausage pasta!
- Skillet Lasagna – lasagna made easy with this quick pan lasagna recipe!
- Cheesy Baked Rigatoni – the ultimate comfort food dish! This baked pasta casserole is made with hearty bolognese sauce and three types of cheese!
- Cheesy Stuffed Pasta Shells – stuffed with 3 types of cheese and baked over a bed of homemade bolognese!
Share it on Pinterest!
Creamy Fresh Tomato Pasta Recipe
- 1/2 lb penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion or shallot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 10 to 12 yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 to 10 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup whole milk, or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Begin by preparing the pasta according to package directions. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook pasta until it's almost done, just a few minutes short of al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside to finish cooking in sauce.
- Next, prepare the tomato sauce: Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat, add splash of oil and the onion and garlic. Sauté the mixture for 2 to 3 minutes, then add tomatoes and continue sautéing until onion is golden brown, another 2 to 3 minutes. Add all seasonings, tomato sauce, milk (or chicken broth) and parsley. Cover the pan and cook for an additional 5 to 6 minutes over medium heat.
- Add to the sauce the chopped basil. Remove the sauce from heat and puree in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add additional milk for thinner consistency, if desired. Pour the prepared tomato sauce over the drained pasta and return it to the stove top. Simmer the pasta and sauce together over medium heat until pasta is done, about 4 to 5 minutes. Serve with more chopped basil leaves, grated parmesan cheese and sliced fresh tomatoes.