Calling all turkey lovers! This stuffed turkey breast roll is perfect as a Thanksgiving recipe, for Christmas or any time of the year you want a delicious dish. It’s stuffed with BACON, shallots, mushrooms and even some spinach! The turkey is so juicy, tender and flavorful! This recipe is also a great alternative to roasting a whole turkey during the holiday season! Enjoy this turkey recipe with my ‘Garlic Baby Potatoes’, ‘BLT Salad’, or these delicious ‘Mashed Sweet Potatoes’.
Watch My Turkey Roll Video Tutorial!
Watch my YouTube video recipe to learn how to prepare the turkey breast, prepare the stuffing and get it ready! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Ingredients for Turkey Rolls
Here are the main ingredients you’ll need to make these stuffed turkey breast rolls:
- Turkey Breast: use extra large, skinless, boneless turkey breasts for this recipe.
- Bacon: the smoky bacon bits add so much great flavor to the stuffing.
- Mushrooms: use just about any type of mushrooms for the filling: classic white mushrooms, chanterelles, shiitakes, etc.
- Spinach: wilted spinach is a great addition to the stuffing.
- Parmesan Cheese: adds tons of flavor and makes the filling creamy.
- Smoked Paprika: I love to add even more smoky flavor to the recipe by using this aromatic spice.
Preparing the Turkey Breast
Before filling the turkey breast with my amazing stuffing, the meat needs to be prepped. For this, you’ll need either a meat mallet (best option) or a rolling pin.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut a pocket into the side of the turkey breast; the pocket needs to be deep enough to lay the breast flat.
- Cover the meat with plastic wrap, then tenderize and flatten the meat until it’s about 1/8th inch thick.
- Just make sure you don’t go through the meat, otherwise it will be hard to fill! You want a nice, large flat area where you can add the stuffing.
Making the Turkey Stuffing
The stuffing makes this stuffed turkey breast so delicious and flavorful. I prepare an aromatic combination of smoky bacon, mushrooms, garlic, shallots and even added a bit of Parmesan cheese to the mix! I love the smoky flavor from the bacon and I also add a touch of smoked paprika. The result: moist and super juicy turkey with a smoky and tasty filling! If you want even more bacon flavor, try wrapping the stuffed turkey breast with more bacon! Trust me, you’ll love it!
How to Make Stuffed Turkey Breast Roll
Once you have the turkey breast meat prepped and the filling done, it’s time to assemble and cook the turkey!
- First, season the turkey meat generously with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Next, spread the prepared filling over the meat, leaving a 2 inch strip uncovered, lengthwise. Start from one end and gently roll the meat and filling into a log. Use kitchen twine to secure the roll.
- Preheat a large pan over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Place the roll seam side down first. Brown the roll on all sides, using tongs to turn the roll.
- Divide the butter into small pieces and place directly on top of roll. Transfer the turkey rolls into the preheated oven and bake until internal temperature reaches 160F, about 25 minutes. While the roll is baking, baste it periodically with the melted butter.
- Remove the rolls from the oven once the internal temperature reaches 160F and let the rolls rest for 15 minutes before cutting into slices. Serve the turkey with oven-roasted vegetables and/or salad.
Share it on Pinterest!
Want to tackle a full turkey this year? I’ve got you covered with two amazing, no-fail, juicy and delicious Thanksgiving recipes!
- Garlic & Herb Maple Dijon Turkey Breast – quick and easy turkey breast dinner with aromatic garlic butter, served with roasted potatoes!
- Garlic Herb Turkey – hundreds of 5-star reviews for this amazing, juicy turkey recipe!
- Maple Glazed Butter Turkey – you’ll love this delicious and juicy turkey glazed with maple butter and stuffed with aromatics, apples and herbs!
- Smoked Turkey – use my garlic herb turkey recipe for the smoker! So delicious!
- How to Carve a Turkey – if you’re making a full birds, you’ll need to know how to portion it!
- Oven-Roasted Duck – juicy, aromatic and delicious recipe for whole roasted duck! A great alternative to turkey!
Stuffed Turkey Breast Roll (video)
- 2 extra large turkey breasts, skinless, boneless
- Kosher salt & ground black pepper
- 3 slices smoked bacon
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 mushrooms, diced
- 4 cups fresh spinach, about 1/2 cup wilted
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
For the Filling:
- Preheat oven the to 375F. First, render the bacon slices in a large frying pan. Preheat the pan over medium heat and add the bacon slices. Fry until golden and crispy. Once rendered, remove the bacon onto a paper towel to absorb all the excess oil.
- Retain the rendered bacon fat in the pan. Into the same pan, add the mushrooms, shallot, and garlic. Saute for a few minutes until shallot is softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the mixture from the pan and add the fresh spinach. Cook for a few minutes until spinach is wilted down.
- Dice the rendered bacon into small bits. Combine with mushroom mixture, wilted spinach and smoked paprika. Set aside.
Making the Turkey Roll:
- Next, prepare the turkey breast for stuffing. Remove the turkey breasts from refrigerator. Using a sharp knife, butterfly the meat along its natural sectioning, creating a more flat piece of meat. Cover the meat with 2 layers of cling wrap and use a meat mallet to pound the meat thin, to about 1/4 to 1/8-inch thick.
- Season the turkey meat generously with kosher salt and black pepper. Spread the prepared filling over the meat, leaving a 2 inch strip uncovered, lengthwise. Start from one end and gently roll the meat and filling into a log. Use kitchen twine to secure the roll.
- Preheat a large pan over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Place the roll seam side down first. Brown the roll on all sides, using tongs to turn the roll. Divide the butter into small pieces and place directly on top of roll. Transfer the roll into the preheated oven and bake until internal temperature reaches 160F, about 25 minutes. While the roll is baking, baste it periodically with the melted butter.
- Remove roll from the oven once it reaches 160F and let the roll rest for 15 minutes before cutting into slices. Serve with oven-roasted vegetables and/or salad.