Smoky Bacon & Spinach Ricotta Tarts
Cheesy, smokey and so delicious! These spinach ricotta tarts are made with a buttery, flaky crust and filled with cheese, smoked ham and spinach. These are so incredibly delicious and aromatic! I love spinach and these easy-to-make tarts are a perfect combination of both spinach and cheese. This easy appetizer recipe is great for parties or as a snack!
- Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Preparing the Tart Crust
These easy appetizer sized tarts are great for everyday meals or for a dinner or cocktail party! Start with premade puff pastry or even premade pie crust. The puff pastry will be extra crispy and flaky and my choice for this recipe. Want to make your own crust? Check out my ‘All-Butter Pie Crust’ video recipe for more details! Unfold and gently roll out the pastry dough, then use a sharp knife to cut each sheet of dough into 6 or 12 equal squares. Cut into 6 squares for larger tarts.
You can prepare these tarts using a regular cupcake tin, which will yield 12 tarts. Or, use a mini cupcake pan and make 24 pieces!
How to Make Spinach Ricotta Tarts
The cheesy and smoky filling dotted with wilted spinach is really something special!
- First, you’ll want to render the smoked ham or bacon bits. Both work well for this recipe. Keep all the fat in the pan for sautéing the rest of the ingredients!
- Next, add in the mushrooms, onion and garlic. Once the mushrooms are tender, add in the spinach. The spinach needs to be wilted down for a few minutes. Allow the spinach to cook for a few minutes and let the liquids evaporate.
- Once you have the cooking out of the way, combine the bacon, mushrooms, onion, garlic and spinach with the ricotta cheese and parmesan! I recommend using whole milk ricotta for the best results – it’s super creamy and rich!
- Fill each tart shell generously to the top with the filling and bake in the preheated oven at 350F.
- Once the puff pastry is golden, remove the tarts from the oven. Be extra careful, as the cheese filling gets super hot! Enjoy these spinach ricotta tarts while they’re warm!
Enjoyed this easy appetizer recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Spinach Panela Tartlets – these mini tarts are also filled with spinach, plus salty panela cheese!
- Smoked Salmon Profiteroles – you’ll love the light and fluffy and savory smoked salmon filling I use for these cream puffs!
- Ham & Cheese Scones – seriously amazing smokey and cheesy scones with cheddar cheese!
Share it on Pinterest!
Spinach Ricotta Tarts
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed and ready for use
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup smoked ham or bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 small white mushrooms, diced
- 2 to 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 green scallion, diced
- 1 tbsp EACH: dill, parsley
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: black pepper, dried basil
- Remove the puff pastry from the freezer and allow it to thaw at room temperature while preparing the filling. You can also transfer it into the refrigerator the night before. Preheat oven to 350F/177C and grease a 12-count muffin pan with butter. You can also use a 24-count mini cupcake pan.
- Next, prepare the filling. Preheat a large frying pan over medium heat and add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add in the diced smoked ham or bacon. Render the ham for 4 to 5 minutes, until it's golden brown. Remove the ham or bacon from the pan using a slotted spoon into a large bowl and keep the remaining fat in the pan. Next, add in the mushrooms and onion. Saute the mixture for 3 to 4 minutes, until the mushrooms are browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Next, add the spinach into the pan. Toss it together with the mushrooms and onion and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the spinach is wilted down significantly. Remove the mixture from the stove top and place into the same large bowl as the ham bits. Add the remaining ingredients: green onion, dill, parsley, egg, ricotta and parmesan. Use a large spoon to mix everything together until the mixture is uniform. Set the filling aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently roll out each pastry sheet into a slightly large square. Cut each sheet into 6 equal squares; cut into 12 pieces if using mini cupcake pan. Gently line each muffin cup with pastry. Using a small spoon, fill the puff pastry generously with the prepared filling, filling all the way to the top.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350F for 23 to 25 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown. Remove the tarts from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan and serving. The filling will be extremely hot when the tarts come out of the oven! Be extra careful!