If you love cheese, you’re going to love these mini asparagus cheese tarts with caramelized onions! I have an obsession with mini cheese tartlets! I love making these little treats for my dinner parties and holiday gatherings. I combine three different cheeses with caramelized onions and asparagus to make these irresistible asparagus tarts. It’s an easy appetizer recipe and they’re always a hit with my guests!
Watch My Video!
Watch my YouTube video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Cheese Tarts
To make this recipe super easy, I recommend using pre-made, store-bought tart shells. This way, you don’t have the hassle of making your own. You can also use pre-made pie crust, cut circles out of the dough and shape them using a mini cupcake pan. For the cheesy filling, I used THREE different types of cheese. The more cheese the better, especially when it comes to these cheese tarts! I used aromatic and delicious parmesan cheese, whole-milk ricotta and creamy cream cheese. This combination makes for the ultimate filling.
In addition to the cheese, I add diced caramelized onions and asparagus for added texture and flavor. Top the tarts off with some chopped asparagus for a beautiful garnish. When making these at home, let them cool down for a bit once you take these tarts out of the oven! The cheese filling gets piping hot!
Please share and save it to Pinterest!
Enjoyed this easy appetizer recipe? Make sure to check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Spinach Panela Tarts – these savory cheese tarts are filled with melted cheese, spinach and onions!
- Stuffed Mini Peppers – smoky, creamy and delicious! These peppers are stuffed with cheese and bacon bits!
- Avocado Chicken Egg Rolls – the best ever egg rolls with juicy chicken, creamy avocado and chimichurri sauce!
- 5 Crostini Recipes – five easy crostini recipes for any party!
Asparagus Cheese Tarts Recipe (video)
- 60 mini fillo dough shells
- 1 extra-large onion, diced
- 1 cup diced asparagus
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: dried basil, garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup asparagus tips or chopped fresh herbs, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the puff pastry shells on the sheet.
- Prepare the filling. Preheat a large frying pan over medium heat and add the 2 tablespoons of butter. Melt the butter, then add the diced onion and chopped asparagus. Sweat the mixture without browning for 8 to 10 minutes until the onions are translucent. Add the brown sugar and vinegar, turn up heat to medium-high and allow the sugar to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, combine the cheese, salt and seasonings in a large bowl. When onion mixture is ready, add that to the bowl, too. Using a spatula, mix everything together until a uniform mixture forms.
- Fill shells with a heaping amount of filling. Garnish the top with asparagus tips or chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, parsley or dill. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and allow the tarts to cool slightly before serving.
- NOTE: these tarts are great for freezing. Place the prepared tarts onto a sheet and place into the freezer. When baking from freezer, preheat oven to 375F and bake until piping hot, about 20 to 25 minutes.