Love traditional lasagna but don’t have the time to make it?! My easy skillet lasagna is a recipe that you can have ready in no time! Get all the hearty flavors you love in this easy-to-make pasta recipe using my favorite Italian sausage bolognese sauce, mozzarella and ricotta cheese! This is easy pasta recipe is perfect for a busy week night! Check out my Classic Lasagna Recipe and my Classic Bolognese Sauce for more inspiration.
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Easy Bolognese Sauce
This easy skillet lasagna recipe starts with an incredible sauce! I use the same delicious bolognese sauce for my traditional lasagna recipe. It’s the one and only recipe I ever use – there’s no need to change when this one is perfect! It’s easy to make and incredibly flavorful. And the longer it cooks, the better it gets! If you have the extra time, cook the bolognese sauce for about an hour or even two for maximum flavor. You’ll get to enjoy the delicious aroma of the sauce cooking away; it’s one of my favorite aromas, especially in the fall season!
Preparing the Pasta
While the sauce is cooking, prepare your favorite pasta. I use bowtie pasta for my recipe but any type will work well. Once the sauce is done, simply toss with your choice of pasta. For serving, add dollops of whole milk ricotta cheese and fresh basil leaves on top. The extra cheese adds a bit of needed creaminess and I love the vibrant color of basil with all my Italian pasta dishes!
Enjoyed this easy, one-pan recipe? Check out some more recipe options on my site!
- Cheesy Stuffed Pasta Shells – stuffed with 3 types of cheese and baked over a bed of homemade bolognese!
- Cheesy Baked Rigatoni – the ultimate comfort food dish! This baked pasta casserole is made with hearty bolognese sauce and three types of cheese!
- Classic Meat & Cheese Lasagna – the only recipe for traditional lasagna I ever use!
- Cheesy Lasagna Roll-Ups – lasagna rolls filled with cheese and chorizo bolognese sauce!
- How to Make Bolognese Sauce – classic Italian recipe for a meaty and hearty sauce to go with pasta!
Enjoyed this recipe? Please share and save it to Pinterest!
Easy Skillet Lasagna Recipe (video)
- 3/4-1 pound pasta, cooked to al-dente
- 1 pound Italian sausage, or other ground meat
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: thyme, rosemary, oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups chopped or diced canned tomatoes
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup cream
- 6 to 7 tablespoons whole-milk ricotta
- fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions and set aside. Preheat a large saute pan over medium heat and add a splash of olive oil. Add the Italian sausage and use a spatula to break apart the meat into small pieces as it browns. Once meat is browned, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Cook until the onion is tender and translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Next, add all the seasonings: salt, sugar, oregano, thyme, rosemary and fennel seeds. Stir until well combined. Add the balsamic vinegar, red wine, beef broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Stir very well, combining all the tomato sauce with the meat. Bring the mixture up to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook over low-medium heat for 20 to 60 minutes; the longer the better! The sauce will develop more flavor the longer it cooks.
- When sauce is ready, add the mozzarella cheese, parmesan and cream. Cook until cheese is completely melted, then remove from heat. Add in the prepared pasta and toss in the sauce until well coated and combined.
- When serving, top the pasta off with scoops of ricotta cheese and garnish with basil leaves.