The most delicious shrimp fettuccine alfredo recipe! This creamy seafood pasta is bursting with so much incredible flavor! It’s made with juicy, garlic shrimp served on top of fettuccine pasta dressed with alfredo sauce. This skinny version of shrimp alfredo is made without heavy cream! I make my creamy alfredo sauce with roux, milk and loads of parmesan cheese! This lighter, skinny alfredo sauce is so delicious, you won’t notice that the heavy cream is missing!
My Shrimp Alfredo Video Tutorial
Watch my YouTube video tutorial for step-by-step instructions for making the best shrimp alfredo! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website emailing list and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Ingredients for Skinny Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
Here are the main ingredients you’ll need to make this creamy seafood pasta!
- Wild-Caught Jumbo Shrimp: this is my favorite type of shrimp for this pasta recipe. The sweet flavor of wild shrimp is incomparable to farmed.
- Garlic: for making the garlicky shrimp and the alfredo sauce.
- White Wine: for cooking the shrimp. I recommend using a dry white wine, such as pinot grigio or chardonnay.
- Whole Milk: for making the skinny alfredo sauce.
- Butter & Flour: for thickening the sauce.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Fettuccine Pasta: cook the pasta according to package instructions. This recipe will work great with other pasta varieties, too.
Preparing the Pasta
This fettuccine alfredo recipe starts with the pasta! Bring a large pot of salted water a boil and add the pasta. Cook the pasta according to package instructions until it’s ‘al dente’. Next, drain the pasta, cover and keep it warm until ready to use.
Making the Skinny Alfredo Sauce
The creamy alfredo sauce really makes this pasta recipe shine! Most recipes call for heavy cream in the sauce but I make mine on the lighter side, using whole milk instead. This skinny alfredo sauce is just as good as one made with cream.
- First, I make a roux – equal parts butter and flour – to act as a thickener.
- Cook the butter and flour together, then slowly pour in the milk. Make sure to whisk well after each addition until no clumps remain.
- Once you have the basic sauce ready, add in the parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, and a bit of ground nutmeg. The ground nutmeg is a secret I learned from Gordan Ramsay – it brings a little something extra to the sauce!
Preparing the Juicy, Garlic Shrimp
Once you have the sauce ready, it’s time to make the easy garlic shrimp! I recommend using jumbo, wild-caught shrimp for this recipe. Wild-caught shrimp taste so much better than farmed and have a sweet taste to them. Clean and rinse the shrimp first before using.
- To make the shrimp, preheat a large pan over medium heat and sweat the garlic for a few minutes until it’s aromatic but not browned.
- Add the shrimp the pan, along with white wine, and cover the pan. Steam cook the shrimp on high heat with the pan closed tightly. The hot steam from the wine evaporating will cook the shrimp perfectly! It also adds so much great flavor!
- Don’t want to use wine? Replace it with a seafood or veggie broth instead!
Serving the Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
Once you have the pasta, alfredo sauce and shrimp ready, it’s time to bring the dish together! Add the shrimp the the alfredo sauce, along with the remaining wine, and let the sauce cook for a few more minutes. This way, it will be infused with delicious seafood flavor! Next, toss the pasta and sauce together using tongs; make sure all the pasta is well coated! Enjoy the dish immediately with a bit of freshly chopped parsley on top!
Please share and save it to Pinterest!
Enjoyed this delicious, creamy seafood pasta? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Smoky Garlic Shrimp Scampi – easy, 15-minute shrimp pasta recipe with garlic, smoked paprika, white wine and butter.
- Skinny Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo – all the flavor without the heavy cream! This pasta is made with juicy garlic chicken and creamy sauce!
- Cheesy Crab Pasta – the most delicious crab dish ever, with creamy white wine sauce, veggies and lots of crab!
- Salmon Fettuccine Alfredo – another fantastic seafood alfredo, this one with chunks of juicy and flavorful salmon!
- Cheesy Shrimp Quesadillas – the best seafood quesadillas, with shrimp, peppers and cheese!
Skinny Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe (video)
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 cup white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound fettuccine pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- extra Parmesan for topping
- First, prepare the fettuccine pasta. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain the pasta, cover and keep it warm.
- Prepare the alfredo sauce next. Place the butter into medium saucepan and melt it completely over medium heat. Add in the flour and whisk until smooth the roux is smooth. Cook the butter and flour mixture for 2 minutes. Next, slowing start adding in the milk, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking constantly so no clumps remain. Cook the milk approximately 30 seconds after each addition, whisking constantly.
- Once all the milk is added, add in the seasonings and cheese. Continue to cook the sauce over medium heat, whisking frequently until sauce thickens, about 7 to 8 minutes. Cover the sauce with a lid and keep it warm.
- Next, prepare the garlic shrimp. Heat a large frying pan over high heat and add a tablespoon of cooking oil. Add in the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes until soft and aromatic – do not brown! Add in the shrimp, followed by wine and close the pan with a tight-fitting lid. Cook the shrimp over high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, then uncover and pour in the prepared alfredo sauce into the pan along with seasonings. Turn the heat down to medium and continue to cook until sauce thickens, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- To serve, toss the shrimp alfredo sauce with the prepared fettuccine pasta. Use tongs to coat the pasta well; serve immediately.