The ultimate fall comfort food dish! I love this smoky and creamy sausage and butternut pasta recipe! It’s made with loads of oven-roasted squash, smoky kielbasa and a creamy butternut and marsala sauce. This pasta recipe is packed with so much incredible flavor; you’ll love every bite! This butternut pasta looks almost like mac-n-cheese! I bet you could trick your kids into eating a nutritious meal with this one!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details and step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe updates? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How To Make Oven-Roasted Butternut
The creamy, buttery and rich butternut squash is my all-time favorite fall ingredient to cook with! I add it to just about everything – salads, soup and pasta. It’s such a versatile ingredient that goes well with just about everything, hence this delicious butternut pasta recipe! It’s also super easy to prepare in the oven! Make sure to watch my video recipe to learn how to peel, seed and cut a butternut squash. Cut the squash in equal sized pieces so they cook the same. Simply spread the squash single layer in a baking pan, season with oil and spices, cover and bake! It’s that easy! For a roasted finish, remove the foil from the pan and broil on high for a few minutes.
Then, I make the most incredible yet simple sauce with marsala wine, shallots, garlic, cream and loads of parmesan cheese and of course, so pureed squash. I like to puree about half of the squash for the sauce and leave the rest whole for more texture.
Smoky Sausage Flavor!
To add some protein and flavor, I used polish kielbasa for the recipe. This sausage is one of my favorites to use in pasta dishes – it’s flavorful and packs a smoky punch! I’ve also tried this dish with pineapple sausage – definitely give it a try if you’re a fan of pineapple! If you’re not a fan of sausage, try this recipe with cubed chicken breast – it will taste great, too!
Looking for more delicious pasta recipes to try? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta – this creamy and zesty chicken pasta is with mushrooms and artichokes!
- Easy, Garlicky Zucchini Pasta – super quick and easy zucchini pasta with garlic, parmesan and basil! Perfect for summer!
- Smoky Sausage & Pepper Pasta – creamy roasted pepper sauce with smoky sausage!
- Bacon Mac & Cheese – the BEST mac and cheese recipe ever! Super creamy with bacon bits!
Share it on Pinterest!
Sausage & Butternut Pasta Recipe (video)
- 1 large butternut squash
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- smoked paprika
- small bundle fresh sage
- 4 links Polish kielbasa, sliced
- 2 large shallots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pound pasta
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, season with salt and cook the one pound pasta according to package instructions. When pasta is done, drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, peel the squash using a sharp peeler, cutting away the hard rind until you reach the inner, rich-golden flesh. Portion the squash into smaller pieces and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds; then, cut into small cubes. Transfer the diced squash onto a large baking sheet and drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Season generously with salt and a bit of ground black pepper. Sprinkle lightly with smoked paprika, then add the fresh sage leaves - pull the leaves off the stalks and discard the stalks.
- Toss the squash on the baking sheet, using your hands, to season evenly. Bake the squash in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until tender and golden on the outside. Set aside about 1 1/2 cups of the diced squash into a separate bowl and place the remaining into a food processor. Pulse into a fine puree.
- While squash is roasting in the oven, prepare the sausage and sauce. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add the sliced kielbasa. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes, until golden brown all over. Remove the sausage into a separate bowl and add the 1 tablespoon butter to the hot pan. Add the shallots and garlic; saute for 3 to 4 minutes until the shallot is translucent. Add the flour, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the marsala wine and deglaze the pan, scraping any burnt on bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken broth and cream, then bring the sauce to simmer over medium heat. Add the parmesan cheese and cook the sauce until the cheese is completely melted; the sauce will begin to thicken as it cooks.
- Once you have the butternut pureed, add the puree to the sauce and whisk it in until it's well combined and smooth. Pour the sauce over the prepared pasta, add the sausage and reserved diced butternut. Use a large spoon to toss the pasta in the sauce until it's well coated. Serve with extra parmesan cheese on the top, if desired.