Sangria, fruit and the fluffiest berry filling – this no-bake summer sangria fruit trifle is bound to become a summer favorite! It’s the perfect no-bake dessert, made using lady fingers soaked in sangria and layered with all the best summer fruit! This incredible easy and insanely delicious sangria trifle is inspired by one of the most popular recipes on my blog – my ‘Summer Sangria Cake’! This fruit dessert recipe has all the same flavors, minus the baking! Use sweet grape juice in place of sangria for a non-alcoholic version!
Watch My Trifle Video!
Watch my YouTube video recipe for my step-by-step instructions and extra tips! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website emailing list and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make a Sangria Fruit Trifle
Fruit trifles are one of the easiest desserts to make and they’re very impressive! They are made with three essentials: cake, fruit and filling. There are several different methods of preparing this dessert – some recipes call for pudding, others for custard or whipped cream. Some recipes call for home-made cake, others use premade cake like Angel Food cake or like in my recipe, lady fingers. The fruit is all up to you!
For my sangria fruit trifle, I went with crispy lady finger cookies, a fluffy berry whipped cream and a mix of summer fruit. I use the crispy, hard type of lady fingers for this recipe because they soak up the sangria very well and don’t break easily. This trifle can be assembled in one large trifle bowl like I did in the video recipe, or you can assemble it as individual fruit parfaits.
Making the Creamy Trifle Filling
For the filling, I make the most delicious cream with cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk (in place of pastry cream), heavy cream, and just a touch of strawberry preserves. This filling can be made with other fruit flavors such as raspberry, blueberry and blackberry. Even mango would work well! To make a different flavor cream, simply replace the strawberry preserves with the fruit or berry preserves of your choice and add 1 tsp of extract of the same flavor – e.g. raspberry preserves with raspberry extract.
Important Tip!! When making this filling, it’s important that it’s not overmixed! Over mixing the filling will cause it to separate! First cream together the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk, then add the cream. Whisk just until medium peaks form. In this case, it’s better to be slightly undermixed than overmixed.
What Fruit to Use for a Trifle
I love to enjoy this no-bake summery sangria trifle with a mix of all the best fruits and berries that summer has to offer! For my video recipe, I did a mix of cherries, blueberries, strawberry, nectarines and pineapple. Here are some more options to try: blackberries, mangos, raspberries, kiwis, peaches, dragon fruit, kumquats.
Enjoyed this sangria trifle recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to love!
- Summer Sangria Cake – one of the most popular on my website! So delicious!
- Lemon Blueberry Trifle – zesty and fruity trifle with lemon cake, lemon cheesecake filling, lemon curd and loads of blueberries!
- Strawberry Kiwi Trifle Cake – unique dome-shaped trifle cake with berries and custard filling!
- Easy Strawberry Trifle – quick and easy berry trifle with pudding.
- Mango Vanilla Panna Cotta – creamy vanilla panna cotta topped with mango gelee and passion fruit!
Enjoyed this recipe? Save it for later to Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
No-Bake Sangria Fruit Trifle Recipe (video)
- 24-30 ladyfinger cookies, hard type
- 6 to 8 cups fresh fruit and berries
- 8 oz cream cheese or mascarpone, softened
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1 tsp strawberry extract or emulsion
- 1/3 cup strawberry preserves
- 2 cups sangria or grape juice
- Wash and prep the fruit and cut any large fruit into bite size pieces. Pour the sangria into large bowl or shallow dish, for easier dipping.
- For the filling, place the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk into a mixer bowl and whisk for a few minutes until the mixture is smooth and clump free. Add the chilled heavy cream and whisk again, first on low speed, then on high speed for about 30 seconds until medium peaks form. Add the strawberry extract, strawberry preserves and a bit of food coloring, if desired. Whisk again for 10 to 15 seconds, just until combined. Do not over mix the filling – it will separate if overmixed!!
- To assemble the fruit trifle, layer the lady fingers, filling and fruit. Soak the lady fingers briefly in the sangria, then arrange in a single layer. Follow with a generous amount of filling, then a few handfuls of fruit. Repeat the process until the trifle bowl is full, finishing with a heap of fruit on top.
- For best results, refrigerate the fruit trifle overnight. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.