One of my favorite fall and winter meals is a big, warm bowl of beef chili! This incredible smoky chipotle beef chili recipe is one of the best I’ve ever had! The flavors are hearty and warming, with a warming spiciness to the dish! It’s made with lots of ground beef, kidney beans, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, smoked paprika and even a little bit of wine! Enjoy this beef and bean chili with cheddar cheese!
Watch My Video
Watch my YouTube video recipe for step-by-step instructions and for more cooking tips! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Preparing the Ground Beef
I love having lots and lots of beef in my beef chili recipe and use 2 whole pounds of 85% lean ground beef. I like using ground meats with higher fat content because the extra fat always adds great flavor! Since 2 pounds is quite a bit of meat, I recommend browning the meat in smaller portions.
First, preheat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of oil. Brown each batch of ground beef for 5 to 7 minutes, breaking up the meat as it cooks into smaller bits. Make sure you don’t have large chunks of beef! As the beef is cooking, season it generously with salt. Once you have the meat browned, transfer it into a large pot of braising.
Putting Together the Chili
This smoky beef chili was so many great ingredients that make it taste amazing! Once you have the beef done, saute the onion, peppers and garlic in the same pan. Next, I add the spices! I like to add them to the onion so they have a chance to toast a bit and release even more aroma! I also like to deglaze my pan with a red wine. It’s not a traditional beef chili recipe ingredient but I think it adds great flavor!
Then I combine the rest of the ingredients in a large pot: the browned beef, the onion and pepper mixture, tomato pasta, diced tomatoes, beef broth and the beans. I used canned kidney beans (drained) for this recipe. Feel free to use your favorite beans here, too!
Smoky Chipotle Flavor
One of my favorite things about this smoky chipotle beef chili is the smoky and warming flavors! For the smoky flavor, I add 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika. And for the chipotle flavor, I add about a quarter cup of canned, diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. This rich sauce, along with the spicy chipotle peppers, adds so much incredible flavor to the recipe!
I’m very old fashioned and I love to slowly cook and braise all of my dishes! For this beef chili recipe, I first bring the chili to a simmer over high heat, then cover it and reduce the heat to low. I cook the chili for about 2 hours over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Slow Cooker Instructions: if you want to use a slow cooker for this recipe, prepare the recipe per the instructions, but reduce the beef broth from 3 cups down to 2 cups. Place all the ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on ‘high’ heat for 7 to 8 hours, until the liquids are reduced.
- Pressure Cooker Instructions: prepare the recipe per the instructions but reduce the beef broth from 3 cups down to 2 cups. Place all the ingredients into the pressure cooker and if your pressure cooker has the option, select ‘Chili/Beans’. Otherwise, cook under high pressure for 25 minutes.
I always enjoy my smoky beef chili with a generous amount of grated cheddar cheese on top! It melts right into the chili and tastes so great! You can also add a sprinkle of cilantro or parsley on top, along with slices of jalapeno pepper for even more heat! Also, try adding a squeeze of fresh lime juice to add a bit of freshness! And don’t forget some rustic bread to soak up all the goodness!
Enjoyed this warming and delicious dinner recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Best Beef Stew Recipe – hundreds of raving reviews for this amazing beef stew recipe! Made with beef tri-tip, baby potatoes and veggies!
- 3-Bean Beef Chili – check out this beef and bean chili with three varieties of canned beans: black, pinto and cannellini beans!
- Braised Pork with Mashed Potatoes – another fantastic, hearty and warming dish! Slow-braised pork with a creamy tomato mushroom sauce and creamy potatoes!
- Classic Beef Borscht – this iconic Ukrainian beet and beef soup is so delicious! Made with beef, beets, tomato sauce and cabbage!
Share it on Pinterest