The Best Chicken Enchiladas (video)
Chicken enchiladas are one of those dishes that you cannot get tired of! Today, I’m re-sharing the one and only cheese and chicken enchilada recipe I always use! It’s always been a hit in our home since the day I first made it. I make these with juicy and flavorful chicken thigh, loads of cheese and over course tons of sauce! I love to enjoy them with a side of sour cream, diced avocado and a squeeze of lime juice! These saucy enchiladas loaded with amazing flavors and the aroma alone will have your mouth watering!
Watch My Video!
Make sure to watch my video recipe for all the details! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
A Family Favorite!
And this Tex-mex recipe will feed a crowd! I always make this enchilada recipe when my family comes over to visit and it’s always a hit. This recipe is convenient because you can also make it ahead of time. Simply put assemble the rolls, pour over the sauce, then refrigerate the dish until you’re ready to bake! It’s a great option for meal prep!
How to Make Enchiladas
This easy chicken recipe starts with the chicken filling! It’s a tomato based sauce made with onion, chicken and many aromatic spices! First, brown the chicken in a large frying pan with cooking oil. Once it’s nicely browned, add the garlic and onion and continue cooking for a few more minutes. Now it’s time to add the spices! I add smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin and tarragon. These add so much flavor to the recipe!
To assemble the enchiladas, spread a bit of sour cream onto the tortilla, top with the chicken filling and add some cheese on top. Roll up the tortilla and place into a casserole pan. The cheese enchiladas are topped with red taco sauce and more cheddar cheese, then bake until the cheese is melted. Once the enchiladas are baked, I recommend serving them with sour cream, salsa and even some creamy avocado! Also, try adding a squeeze of fresh lime juice for even more flavor!
Enjoyed this easy recipe for chicken enchiladas? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- ‘Easy Avocado Chicken Burrito’ – these burritos are filled with cheese, avocado and juicy chicken!
- ‘Best Fish Tacos’ w – seriously amazing beer-battered fish with mango salsa and guacamole!
- Cheesy Shrimp Quesadillas – the best seafood quesadillas with juicy shrimp, peppers and cheese!
- Pepper & Chicken Quesadillas – delicious and cheesy chicken quesadillas with bell peppers and onion!
- Smoky Chipotle Beef Chili – the best chili recipe ever, with loads of beef, chipotle peppers and cheddar cheese!
Share it on Pinterest!
The Best Chicken Enchiladas (video)
- 1 pound chicken thigh, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp EACH: salt, tarragon, smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups mild red taco sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 8 large flour tortillas
- additional 1 cup red taco sauce
- diced avocado, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375F. Preheat a large saute pan over medium heat and add a drizzle of oil. Once the pan is hot, add in the diced chicken thigh and season with salt. Fry the chicken until it’s well browned.
- Next, add the minced garlic and diced onion. Continue to saute the mixture until the onion is translucent, then add in the seasoning: sugar, salt, tarragon, smoked paprika, chili powder and cumin. Stir until well mixed, then add the taco sauce, tomato sauce and a bit of freshly chopped cilantro. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from heat and assemble the enchiladas. Spread a few tablespoons of sour cream onto each tortilla, a generous scoop of the chicken filling, then top with grated cheddar cheese. Roll each tortilla into a log, then place into a large baking dish.
- Pour any remaining sauce from the pan, along with additional red taco sauce if needed, over the enchiladas. Spread a generous amount of cheddar cheese on top. Cover the pan with foil and bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes. For the last 10 minutes, remove the foil and continue baking uncovered.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the top of the dish with cilantro, diced avocado, add dollops of sour cream, and serve with lime wedges on the side.
Made these last night……………YUMMMMMMY!!!!! THANKS Tatyana for this, I watch your YouTube videos and absolutely adore you and your cooking!
🙂 Wonderful, so glad you enjoyed the recipe!!
Great recipe! Very easy and quick to make. Taste incredible, thanks Tanya.
So glad you enjoyed the recipe! 🙂
Made this recipe tonight for dinner and it turned out delicious. While family enjoyed it and the kids love it too.
Awesome! So glad it was a hit with the family! 🙂