If you love seafood and salmon, you’re going to love this risotto recipe! My smoked salmon risotto is a classic Italian risotto made with smoked salmon, gouda cheese and fresh dill. You’ll love this unique flavor twist for a classic dish. Every bite is creamy, rich and smoky with bits of smoked salmon. This risotto is great on its own or with a seafood dish, like my ‘Lemon & Herb Cedar Plank Salmon’.
Tips for Making Risotto
The key to making creamy risotto is whisking, whisking, and whisking some more. The more the rice is mixed, the creamier it gets. Risotto is a labor of love, but well worth the work! This smoked salmon risotto is no different!
- First, heat the chicken broth in a small saucepan until it’s hot and steaming. You can also use a seafood or veggie broth for this recipe.
- Next, melt the butter in a saute pan over medium heat and saute the shallot and garlic. Then you can add in the rice!
- Start adding the liquids slowly, starting with the white wine. The alcohol in the wine needs to cook down so it’s best to start with it right at the beginning.
- Add about 1/4 cup HOT broth at a time, whisking continuously! Stirring and whisking the rice is the key!!
All the Flavors!
When you have the risotto almost done, it’s time to add the smoked salmon flavor! Pull apart about 4 ounces of smoked salmon. You can use cold-cured salmon or hot-cured salmon; both will work great for this recipe. Stir in the salmon into the risotto, along with the cheese. I love the mild and nutty flavor of gouda but you can also use Parmesan for this recipe. Once the smoked salmon risotto is done, sprinkle it with fresh dill and serve!
Enjoyed this delicious seafood recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
- Lobster Tails with Risotto – watch my video recipe for this seafood dish and watch me make a simple risotto to complement my butter poached lobster!
- Creamy Crab Pasta – this incredible seafood pasta is made with a creamy white wine sauce and chunks of real crab!
- Salmon Fettuccine – you’ll love this salmon take on the classic fettuccine alfredo!
- Pan-Seared Scallops – zesty lemon caper jumbo scallops with creamy mushroom risotto! Perfect for a special occasion dinner!
Share it on Pinterest!