Crispy and buttery potato galette is the ultimate potato breakfast recipe! You’ll love this easy recipe for potato galette, topped with a poached egg, smoked salmon, avocado and more! The shredded potatoes are first seasoned, then shaped into a pancake slowly fried until cooked and crispy! You can even enjoy this dish with a bit of homemade chimichurri sauce! This rustic, French recipe is something you can make at home to impress your family! Enjoy this recipe for breakfast or a weekend brunch!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details and step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
What’s a Galette?
Galette is a French culinary term used to describe flat pancakes or thin and crispy cakes and pies. The potato galette is a French classic and enjoyed with many different toppings! It can also be made with various cuts of potato: shredded or sliced. These types of galettes can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
How to Make a Galette
This easy breakfast recipe starts with the potatoes! If you have the time to peel and grate your own potatoes, they work best for this recipe. Once you have the potatoes grated, place them in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes, then squeeze dry and use. Realistically, I’m super lazy in the morning so I stock my freezer with frozen potato hash browns and they work beautifully for this recipe! Season the potatoes well with salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder or your favorite seasonings.
Arrange the potatoes into a pancake in a small frying pan or cast iron skillet with melted butter. The secret to a great potato galette is cooking it slowly!! Let the potatoes get golden and crispy over a low heat, allowing the potatoes to cook in the inside and crisp up on the outside. Flip the potato pancake only when the first gets golden! Try covering the pan with a lid to speed up the cooking process!
All the Toppings!
This potato pancake recipe is all about the toppings! I like to add some delicious smoked salmon, sliced avocado and a poached egg. I recommend using wild, Pacific salmon – the flavor is mild and so delicious! Sprinkle the top with a bit of fresh dill, diced shallots and capers for the finishing touch. If you want to make this breakfast recipe extra fancy, add a few spoonfuls of salmon roe on top!
- Want to learn how to make poached eggs? Check out my video recipe for ‘Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict’ to see how it’s done!
- In addition to an already incredible dish, try serving this potato galette with some homemade chimichurri sauce. The fresh flavor of the sauce really brightens up the dish and takes it to a whole new level! Check out my video recipe for this sauce HERE!
Enjoyed this incredible potato recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Bacon Breakfast Potatoes – the best ever breakfast potatoes, with bacon bits, carrots and poached eggs!
- Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict – my all-time favorite breakfast recipe! Smoked salmon, avocado, poached eggs and homemade Hollandaise sauce!
- Potato Breakfast Skillet – loaded with peppers, sausage and potatoes, this breakfast dish is so delicious!
- Zucchini & Sausage Shakshuka – this Middle Eastern dish is so rich and aromatic, with zucchini, sausage and eggs cooked in a tomato sauce!
Share it on Pinterest!