If you love Nutella, you’re going to LOVE this rich and decadent chocolate nutella strawberry roulade! It’s made with my classic chocolate sponge cake and filled with loads of fresh strawberries and a rich, creamy and super fluffy Nutella whipped cream. The strawberries are the perfect complement to the richness of the cake and hazelnut chocolate cream! This incredible chocolate cake roll is perfect for any occasion! Top it off with more cream and berries for the perfect finish!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions and tips for making the cake and the frosting! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications! I publish new video recipes every week!
How it’s Made: Chocolate Cake
For this delicious Nutella strawberry roulade, I went with my basic chocolate sponge cake recipe with slight modifications. Cake rolls are very fragile and most cake recipes simply crumble and break when rolled. Sponge cakes hold together much better, making them the perfect choice for any cake roll recipe! When making sponge cake, follow these two rules: whisk the eggs until they’re super voluminous and almost white in color; and number 2 – fold in the flour extra gently but thoroughly! I always split my dry ingredients and add them in a few batches, mixing after each addition. Sponge cakes get all their volume from the eggs so it’s important to keep them fluffy!
Here are a few tips to follow when making cake rolls or roulades:
- Roll the cake immediately after taking it out of the oven!! It needs to be hot and pliable. As the cake cools down, it will be harder to roll and it will start to fall apart.
- Dust the cake with cocoa powder or confectioner’s sugar before rolling in a clean kitchen towel to prevent the cake from sticking! You can do this on both sides of the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before unrolling and filling. I like to place mine into the freezer to cool down quickly!
- After filling the cake, roll it back up the same way you rolled it initially to prevent the cake from breaking.
The Nutella Whipped Cream
Strawberries and Nutella are a natural combination and this cake confirms that! The chocolate hazelnut spread is so rich and creamy and is the perfect addition to whipped cream. I whip the Nutella with butter first to make it really light and fluffy, then add in the chilled heavy cream. Once you add in the heavy cream, make sure to watch the frosting!
- You do not want to over-mix at this step, otherwise the filling can separate! I mix for about 20 seconds on medium speed first, scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl, then mix again on high speed for about 1 minute, just until the cream reaches stiff peak stage.
Assembling the Cake
To assemble the cake, unroll it and soak the cake very lightly with a simple syrup or sweet dessert wine. Fill it with cream and strawberries and roll it back up! I like to reserve 1 cup of the frosting for the top. For this recipe, I used Ateco tip #829 (affiliate link) for piping the dollops on top. Add some more fresh strawberries on top and you’re good to go! I recommend refrigerating the cake for about an hour before enjoying, to allow the cake and cream to come together. For the simple syrup, combine 1/2 cup boiling water with 1/4 cup sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Allow it to cool before using.
Enjoyed this nutella strawberry cake roulade recipe? Check out some of my other recipes!
- Chocolate Fig Roulade – delicate chocolate cake filled with chocolate cream and figs!
- Keto Berries & Cream Roulade – perfect dessert for those on the keto diet! Make it with regular sugar for a traditional version!
- Chocolate Raspberry Roulade – elegant chocolate cake filled with whipped cream and raspberries!
Enjoyed this recipe? Share it on Pinterest!