If you love coconut, this stunning Italian Cream Cake, also known as the Italian Wedding Cake, is for you! It’s from my new cake cookbook, The European Cake Cookbook. You’ll love everything about this cake, from the delicate coconut cake layers, to the fluffy coconut whipped cream frosting to the toasted coconut flakes! Every single fluffy and delicate bite of this cake is packed with incredible coconut flavor!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want to get updates every time a new recipe goes live?? Subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Making The Cake Layers!
Every part of this Italian Wedding Cake has some coconut flavor! I add coconut milk and coconut extract to the delicate, white coconut cake layers. The fatty coconut milk not only adds coconut flavor, but also makes the cake extra delicate and soft. Make sure to use full-fat milk for this recipe! I also like soaking the layers with more unsweetened coconut milk when I’m assembling the cake. This helps keep the cake nice and moist even when it’s refrigerated.
The Coconut Whipped Cream!
The coconut whipped cream frosting I use for this Italian Cream Cake is one of my favorites! I could literally eat it with a spoon, it’s that good!! The mild flavor of mascarpone combined with coconut milk and fluffy whipped cream is phenomenal! Here are some tips for making the frosting:
- Cream together the cheese and coconut milk until it’s super creamy and smooth! Make sure no clumps remain.
- Whisk the cream and sugar until stiff peaks form before adding the cheese mixture.
- Once you add the cheese mixture to the whipped cream, mix just until the cheese is mixed in and the frosting is fluffy. Do not overmix! Over mixing for even a few seconds can cause the frosting to separate. If you’re making this for the first time, mix the whipped cream frosting on low speed.
The European Cake Cookbook
This amazing Italian cream cake recipe is from my newly released cookbook, The European Cake Cookbook! This book is packed with 65, all-new cake recipes from all across Europe. I hand-picked each recipe and this Italian Wedding Cake has a special place in my book! Get your copy HERE!
Enjoyed this delicious tropical cake recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Coconut Cupcakes – seriously, the best cupcakes with bakery-style frosting!
- Mango Cake – so light and fluffy and fruity! This amazing mango cake has it all!
- Coconut Kahlua Cake – this coconut coffee cake is so delicious and beautiful!
- Coconut Lime Cheesecake – fluffy coconut cheesecake topped with lime curd!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
I love these aluminum, 8-inch round cake pans for baking.
And these pre-cut parchment paper rounds save a ton of time!
Use a classic KitchenAid stand mixer, or this smaller handheld mixer.
And this set of jumbo cake decorating tips are a must for all bakers.