One of my all-time favorite pizza varieties: arugula prosciutto pizza with mozzarella cheese, basil pesto and balsamic glaze, topped with fresh arugula on my home-made pizza dough! Each slice is loaded with so much amazing flavor, you won’t be able to have just one slice! And the home-made pizza dough is so easy to make – use it for any pizza variety.
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
The Pizza Dough
Start this prosciutto pizza with my easy, homemade pizza dough! It’s made with lots of olive oil and you can also season it with dried herbs such as oregano or basil. We’ve been using the same recipe in my family for years! It’s a fluffy and flavorful dough; perfect for pizza! Once you have the dough ready, cover and let it proof at room temperature while you prepare the pizza toppings. Don’t have time to make your own dough? Store-bought dough will also work well!
The Pizza Toppings
The toppings always make the pizza! For this zesty and salty prosciutto pizza, I’m using a combination of tomato sauce and basil pesto for the base! Top the sauce with mozzarella and parmesan cheese and slices of shallot. Now, the pizza is ready for the oven! Bake until it’s golden and crispy, then it’s ready for the rest of the toppings!
- Add the prosciutto, capers, arugula and balsamic glaze onto the already baked pizza crust and enjoy!
This recipe makes two large pizzas. Enjoy one now and try freezing one for later! Just transfer your rolled out pizza dough onto a tray lined with parchment paper and add the toppings. Hold off on the arugula until the pizza is baked; fresh is always best. Place the pizza into the freezer and once it’s completely frozen, transfer into a sealed bag for storage. Follow the same baking instructions when ready to enjoy!
Enjoyed my recipe for homemade pizza? Check out some of my other dinner recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Classic Pizza Margherita – an Italian classic, made with mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce and basil leaves!
- Bacon & Cheddar Garlic Rolls – the best ‘cinnamon rolls’ with garlic butter, cheddar cheese and bacon!
- The Best Meat & Cheese Sauce – a traditional Italian version of lasagna.
- Creamy Prosciutto Pasta – if you love prosciutto, you’ll love this easy spring pasta recipe!
Share it on Pinterest!
Arugula Prosciutto Pizza Recipe (video)
For Pizza Dough:
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 tsp white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Olive oil, salt, black pepper
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup basil pesta
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 10 slices prosciutto
- 10 cups arugula
- 2 tbsp capers; optional
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Sprinkle of each: dried rosemary, thyme, basil, garlic powder, fennel seeds
- Prepare the pizza dough first. Pour the warm milk into a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and sprinkle the yeast in a thin layer over the top. Allow the yeast to proof for 5 minutes, then whisk into the milk. Add the salt, olive oil and egg; whisk until smooth. Begin adding the flour gradually, whisking at first, then switching over to a spatula once a soft dough forms.
- When the dough begins to come together in a ball, turn it out onto a well-floured work surface. Knead the dough for 5 to 7 minutes, adding flour as needed, until a soft and elastic dough forms. Transfer the dough into a large mixing bowl coated with a tablespoon of olive oil. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and allow the dough to proof for about 1 hour, away from any cold air drafts.
- Meanwhile, prepare all the toppings. For the tomato sauce, simple combine the sauce with a sprinkle of Italian dry herbs and salt.
- Once the dough has proofed, turn it out onto a floured work surface and knead again for a few minutes. Make either 1 large pizza, or divide the dough in half for 2 smaller flat-bread style pizzas. Grease a large pizza pan with olive oil. Roll the dough out into desired shape and transfer onto the pan. Pierce the dough with a fork all over.
- Before adding toppings, drizzle the dough with olive oil, spreading it all over the surface; season with a bit of salt and pepper. Spread desired amount of tomato sauce over the top, then add slices of mozzarella cheese, basil pesto, parmesan cheese and sliced shallot.
- Preheat oven to 425F; allow the pizza to proof meanwhile. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Remove the pizza from oven and top with sliced prosciutto, capers, arugula and balsamic glaze.