‘WOW’ was the first word on my mind when I first tried these ham and cheese scones! These savory scones are so buttery, soft, super fluffy and packed with incredible flavor like no other recipe I’ve ever tried! This simple, no-fuss recipe scones recipe is bound to become a family-favorite!
The Best Scones Recipe!
I love a good scone with a cup of coffee in the morning but I’ve pretty much given up on store-bought scones since they tend to be dry and dense. So, I decided to take matters into my own hands and experiment with my scone recipe to make it even better. This recipe is it! These cheese scones are made with loads of cheese, chunks of diced ham and bits of chives. And did I mention cheese?! The buttery and cheesy texture and flavor of these scones is simply heavenly! Every bite just melts in your mouth with cheesy goodness!
Make Them Ahead of Time!
This scones recipe is super easy, too – perfect for a lazy weekend breakfast! You can even make the dough the night before and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight, then shape and bake the scones when you’re ready to enjoy them! I love to serve these savory scones while they’re still warm, just a few minutes out of the oven. If you have extras (although I doubt you will!), let the scones cool down completely, then place the leftovers into an airtight container or large ziplock bag and into the refrigerator. Warm up in the microwave when ready to enjoy!
Enjoyed this delicious cheese scone recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Sausage & Cheddar Croissant – this easy croissants are stuffed with cheddar cheese and breakfast sausage!
- Chocolate Scones – triple the chocolate with these amazing, buttery treats!
- Bacon & Garlic Rolls – the best dinner rolls stuffed with bacon bits, cheese and garlic butter
Share it on Pinterest!
Easy Ham & Cheese Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp EACH: garlic powder, onion powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, ice cold
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- Make sure the butter is chilled before using in the recipe. Dice the butter into smaller pieces, then place into the freezer while measuring the dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda, and seasonings. Add the butter next and using a pastry butter or two large forks, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. You can also use a food processor for this step but be careful not to over-heat the butter; pulse slowly.
- Next, prepare the wet ingredients. Combine the sour cream, milk and eggs in a large measuring cup and whisk together until the eggs are well beaten. Make a well in the center of the butter and flour mixture and add the liquids. Use a spatula to fold all the ingredients together until a sticky dough forms (dough needs to be sticky, don't add more flour!). Add the cheddar cheese ham and chives, then mix again until the ingredients are uniform throughout.
- Line the work surface with a sheet of plastic wrap and transfer the dough onto the plastic and wrap tightly. Shape the dough into a flat disk, about 1 inch tall. Place the dough into the refrigerator to chill for at least 15 to 20 minutes, or leave until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Remove the plastic wrap from the scone dough and using a sharp knife, section the disk into 8 equal pieces. Carefully transfer the scones onto the prepared baking pan, spacing the scones about 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart. Top each scone off with more cheddar cheese and chives.
- Bake in preheated oven for 28 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. If you have extras, let the scones cool down completely, then place the leftovers into an airtight container or large ziplock bag and into the refrigerator. Warm up in the microwave when ready to enjoy!