Classic and timeless chocolate coconut macaroons – these coconut cookies have been around long enough to pass the test of time and get the approval of taste-testers everywhere! These light and delicate treats are simple to make and simply delicious! If you don’t already love these cookies, you’ll fall in love with them after your first bite!
Watch My Cookie Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Coconut Macaroons
My easy, no-fail recipe is actually very simple! This cookie recipe requires just 6 ingredients, including the chocolate. They’re made with shredded coconut flakes and fluffy egg whites, beaten to stiff peak stage. The egg whites give these cookies their volume! The coconut cookies are sweetened with sweetened condensed milk, which gives them that slightly chewy texture once they’re baked. Once the macaroons are cooled, I like to dip them into melted chocolate.
The chocolate coats the cookies, making them not only look incredible, but also makes them even more delicious! You can also try dipping the bottom of the cookies into chocolate, then drizzle the top with more melted chocolate. If you haven’t tried chocolate coconut macaroons, what are you waiting for? You can also enjoy these without chocolate, but I highly recommend adding it! Who doesn’t love chocolate?!
Enjoyed these coconut cookies? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Mango Coconut Macarons – these French macarons are so tropical and fruity!
- Spicy White Chocolate Macaroons – a spicy version of classic macaroons, with hot sauce and white chocolate!
- Coconut Cupcakes – the fluffiest cupcakes ever with coconut cake topped with creamy coconut buttercream!
Please share and save it to Pinterest!
Chocolate Coconut Macaroons Recipe (video)
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 330F. Each oven bakes differently. When baking, if you notice that your cookies are turning too dark, turn oven temperature down to 320F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk with coconut, vanilla and salt. If you want your macaroons to be sweeter, use sweetened coconut flakes. Stir to coat coconut evenly.
- Place egg whites into mixer bowl and whisk until medium peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into coconut mixture, doing so in small batches. You want to keep the egg whites as fluffy as possible.
- Spoon cookie batter into large heaps on prepared baking sheet. Can make small or large macaroons; larger ones will need to bake longer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 28-30 minutes. The center needs to be set and the cookies should be golden all over. They will be slightly soft to touch but shouldn't be soggy. Remove cookies from oven and let cool on parchment paper; can transfer cookies still on paper to cooling rack to cool faster.
- Melt semi-sweet chocolate chips either in double boiler or in microwave. If chocolate is not as smooth as you would like it to be, add 1/2 teaspoon of shortening. Dip warm or cooled cookies into chocolate and tap off any excess chocolate. Set back onto paper to set completely. Alternatively, place the melted chocolate into a disposable pastry bag or ziploc bag and drizzle just the tops of the cookies in chocolate. Keep in airtight container when chocolate sets.