Coconut Key Lime Pie with Coconut Crust (video)
The most delicious key lime pie ever!! My coconut key lime pie with coconut graham cracker crust is filled with a creamy, zesty lime filling. I garnish the top of the pie with fluffy coconut whipped cream and more lime zest! Every bite of this zesty pie is bursting with incredible flavor! Plus, it’s super easy to make! It’s perfect for summer or anytime you’re craving for some tropical flavor!
My Key Lime Pie Video Tutorial
Watch my YouTube video recipe for step-by-step instructions and watch me put together this coconut key lime pie recipe! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website emailing list and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Ingredients for Coconut Key Lime Pie
Here are the main ingredients you’ll need for this pie recipe:
- Grated Coconut: I recommend using sweetened coconut for making the coconut and graham cracker crust.
- Graham Crackers
- Egg Yolks: for making the key lime pie filling
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: for making the pie filling. This sweetened milk adds all the sweetness you need. No extra sugar is required!
- Key Lime Juice: freshly squeezed lime juice is the BEST option for this recipe.
- Lime Extract: this extract is optional but it does add a little extra flavor! You can make this pie without it.
- Heavy Cream: make sure to use well chilled cream for making the coconut whipped cream.
- Coconut Extract: the easiest way to add coconut flavor to any recipe! I use it for the coconut whipped cream.
How to Make the Coconut Graham Cracker Crust
This coconut key lime pie starts with the most delicious pie crust! It’s made just like a regular crust but with sweetened coconut flakes added in.
- Just place a package (about 9 cookies) into a food processor along with the coconut. Pulse the cookies for about 1 to 2 minutes until fine crumbs form, then pour in the melted butter. The butter helps bring everything together and works as a binder.
- Transfer the prepared crumbs into a pan of your choosing. You can use a traditional pie pan for this recipe, a tart pan, or even a springform pan, like the one I used in my video recipe. Using the springform pan makes it super easy to remove the lime pie from the pan and onto a serving platter!
- Prebake the crust at 350F/177C for 10 minutes and then let it cool slightly while preparing the filling.
How to Make a Coconut Key Lime Pie
Here’s how to make this delicious pie!
- Prepare the coconut graham cracker crust first. Bake and then cool the crust while you’re preparing the filling.
- This key lime pie filling is what really makes this lime pie so special! It’s a creamy, zesty and not-too-sweet filling that sets beautifully! And, it’s made with just a few ingredients!
- First, whisk the egg yolks in a large bowl until they’re creamy, thick and pale. Next, add in the rest of the ingredients: lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and lime extracts. The condensed milk will add all the sweetness this recipe needs! I also like to add some fresh lime zest for even more flavor!
- Pour the prepared lime filling into the baked coconut graham cracker crust and spread the filling evenly to the edges.
- Bake the pie for 15 to 18 minutes at 350F/177C – the filling will set but still have some wiggle to it, similar to a cheesecake!
- Let the key lime pie cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, then refrigerate for 3 hours, or until chilled.
- When ready to serve, top the lime pie with coconut whipped cream and enjoy!
Easy, Coconut Whipped Cream
You’ll love the fluffy and creamy coconut whipped cream topping for this easy pie recipe! It’s made with heavy cream, confectioner’s sugar and coconut extract. Transfer the whipped cream into a pastry bag and add dollops of cream onto the pie after it has cooled in the refrigerator!
- Try garnishing the cake with more lime zest, too! You can also add lime wedges but add those only when you’re ready to serve.
Enjoyed this zesty and tropical recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Lime Coconut Macarons – the most delicious combo of coconut and lime, with lime buttercream and lime curd!
- Coconut Lime Cheesecake – creamy coconut cheesecake topped with zesty lime curd and whipped cream!
- Italian Coconut Wedding Cake – the fluffiest coconut cake made with coconut cake layers and whipped cream frosting!
- Meringue Coconut Lime Cake – delicate coconut cake layers filled with lime curd and frosted with meringue!
- Lemon Meringue Pie – the ultimate lemon dessert with flaky crust, zesty lemon curd and a mountain of fluffy meringue!
Share it on Pinterest!
Supplies & Tools
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
- 9-inch Springform Pan – I love using a springform pan in place of a regular pie pan for this recipe!
- Classic Pie Pan – use this classic pan for a more traditional pie!
- Coconut Extract – this will add so much great flavor to the whipped cream!
- Lime Extract – make the pie filling extract zesty with a touch of extract!
Coconut Key Lime Pie Recipe (video)
For Coconut Crust:
- 9 whole graham crackers, 1 package
- 1/2 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
For Key Lime Pie Filling:
- 5 large egg yolks
- 28 oz sweetened condensed milk, 2 cans
- 1 cup freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lime extract
- zest from 2 limes
For Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- Fresh lime zest, for garnish
- sliced lime, for garnish
For Coconut Graham Cracker Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350F/177C. First, prepare the coconut graham cracker crust. Break apart the crackers and place them into a food processor along with the shredded coconut. Pulse the cookies for a 1 to 2 minutes, until fine crumbs form. Add in the melted butter and pulse again for about 30 seconds, until the crumbs are well coated.
- Transfer the crumbs into a pie pan, tart pan or springform pan. Using your hands, spread the crumbs evenly, then press them into the sides and bottom of the pan, creating a firm and even crust. Bake the crust at 350F for 10 minutes, then remove it from the oven and let the crust cool while preparing the filling.
For Key Lime Pie Filling:
- For the filling: place the egg yolks into a large mixing bowl and whisk on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until the yolks are thick, pale and creamy. Next, add in the condensed milk, lime juice, extracts and lime zest. Mix the ingredients together on medium speed for few minutes, until the mixture is creamy and uniform. Pour the prepared filling over the baked crust, spreading it evenly to the edges. Watch my video recipe to see how it’s done!
- Bake the key lime pie at 350F for 15 to 18 minutes, until the filling is set but still has a bit of a wiggle left (similar to a cheesecake). Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes, then place into the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours, or until the filling is set.
For Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Prepare the coconut whipped cream once the pie is set and chilled. Pour the chilled heavy cream into a mixer bowl and add the confectioner’s sugar and extracts. Whisk on slow speed first, until the sugar is incorporated. Then, switch to high speed and whisk for 3 to 4 minutes, until stiff peaks form. Transfer the whipped cream into a pastry bag tipped with a star tip; I used Ateco tip #847. Pipe generous dollops of cream onto the pie and garnish with lime zest and lime wedges.
- If using springform pan, remove the pie from the pan before adding the garnishes. Release the pan ring, then slide a thin spatula underneath the crust to loosen the pie from the pan bottom. Gently slide the pie onto a cake stand, then garnish.
Absolutely the best Coconut Key Lime Pie ever! The recipe was easy. My daughters thought I bought the pie from a local restaurant. Hah…I whipped this up in minutes and everyone loved it. The coconut whipped cream stole the show.
Hi Cindy! 🙂 I’m so, so glad to hear that the recipe was a hit with your family! 🙂 I love the coconut cream, too! So light and fluffy!
Hi! i am planning to make this for thanksgiving. I’ll be using key limes (rather than just regular limes). How much juice should i use?
Hi! A perfect choice for Thanksgiving! You will need the same amount of juice – 1 cup. Enjoy! 🙂