This stunning, over-the-top lemon meringue pie not only looks amazing but also tastes incredible! It’s topped with a ridiculous amount of fluffy and creamy meringue, making it the ultimate statement dessert! I make this lemon pie with my All-Butter Pie Crust recipe, my zesty Lemon Curd recipe and top it off with torched meringue! This lemon dessert recipe is perfect for special occasion and holidays!
Watch My Video
Watch my YouTube video recipe for step-by-step instructions for making this Lemon Meringue Pie! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
All-Butter Pie Crust Recipe
My all-time favorite recipe for pie and tart crusts is this buttery All-Butter Pie Crust recipe! It’s made with butter, flour, salt and water. I have a separate video recipe for the crust recipe! Make sure to check it out for in-depth instructions! This simple and easy recipe is perfect for this lemon meringue pie! When making this pie, I typically prepare the pie crust the day before, or a few hours before starting since the crust needs to chill and rest. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap so it doesn’t dry out.
Once the dough is chilled, roll it out on a lightly floured work surface until it’s a few inches larger than your pie or tart tin/pan. You’ll need the extra dough to line the sides of the pie tin. You can save any extra scraps for a different recipe. I blind bake the crust with pie weights for 25 to 30 minutes at 425F until the crust is golden brown.
Zesty Lemon Curd Recipe
Lemon meringue pie is all about the lemon and my recipe for lemon curd filling is the perfect choice! This easy, creamy and zesty Lemon Curd Recipe is my go-to anytime I need lemon curd! I have a separate video recipe for the lemon filling, so make sure to check it out for in-depth instructions! You can make the filling the day before or the same day and let it cool slightly before using in the recipe. If you’re making a lemon tart, I recommend preparing 1 ½ portions of the original recipe; or 2 portions of the recipe for a lemon pie.
Once the pie crust is done blind-baking, add the lemon curd and spread it evenly to the edges. Next, return the lemon pie back into the oven and bake it for another 15 minutes at a reduced oven temperature of 375F. Once the pie is done baking, let it cool in the refrigerator for a few hours, or overnight for best results.
- 1 ½ x original recipe: 1 cup lemon juice; 3 eggs plus 6 egg yolks; 1 ½ cups sugar; ¾ cup butter; 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 x original recipe: 1 1/3 cup lemon juice; 4 eggs plus 8 egg yolks; 2 cups sugar; 1 cup butter; 2 tsp vanilla
Making the Meringue Topping
Any lemon meringue pie should have plenty of meringue topping!! For this recipe, I prepared an enormous amount of fluffy meringue to make this pie extra special! If you don’t want a ton of meringue on your pie, simply reduce the recipe in half.
This meringue topping is completely safe to eat and has no raw egg whites! It’s made with hot sugar syrup, which instantly cooks the egg whites. Here are a few tips for making the perfect meringue:
- Make sure your mixing bowl is squeaky clean and grease free! I usually wash mine with white vinegar to strip any residual grease.
- Use a candy thermometer for the syrup! The syrup needs to reach 240F; this usually takes about 5 to 7 minutes once the syrup starts boiling. Pour the syrup in slowly into the mixer, avoiding the beaters.
- Whisk the meringue on high speed for 7 to 9 minutes, until glossy peaks form. As the meringue cools, it will become glossier.
Enjoying the Pie
Once you have the crust and lemon curd baked and chilled, it’s time to finish this lemon meringue pie with the meringue! I usually chill the pie first for a few hours before adding the meringue, since the lemon curd can start to squeeze out the sides if it’s not cooled. Add the meringue in a heaping pile on top of the lemon curd and use a kitchen torch to caramelize the meringue.
For best results, I recommend refrigerating the lemon pie overnight to allow the lemon curd to set even further. Use an extra long knife to slice through the layer of meringue!
Enjoyed this amazing lemon dessert recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Lemon Meringue Cake – delicate lemon cake layers filled with lemon curd and frosted with meringue! An elegant classic!
- Lemon Meringue Cheesecake – you’ll love this fluffy lemon cheesecake with lemon curd and meringue topping!
- Triple Lemon Macarons – one of my favorite macaron recipes! These lemon cookies are so zesty and delicious!
- Triple Lemon Mousse Cake – this stunning lemon mousse cake is so light, fluffy and lemony! And it looks so impressive!
- Lemon Pound Cake – super easy, delicious and extra lemony cake with lemon glaze; perfect with a cup of coffee!
Share it on Pinterest!