An elevated and aromatic version of chicken soup! This sweet potato and kale chicken soup is made with loads of sweet potatoes, hearty kale, cubed chicken breast and Pompeian Robust Extra-Virgin Olive Oil. This incredible hearty and warming fall soup recipe is bound to become a family favorite, made with tons of fresh fall ingredients! It’s super easy to make and takes almost no time, making it perfect for even busy weeknight meals! This recipe is sponsored by Pompeian.
Watch My Soup Video!
Watch my video recipe for my step-by-step instructions and more tips and tricks! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Sweet Potato and Kale Chicken Soup
This hearty fall soup recipe takes chicken soup to another level of deliciousness. To incorporate as much flavor as possible into this recipe, I start with a simple soup base of mirepoix. Mirepoix is the French name for a flavor base, in this case diced onions, celery and carrots. You can also add minced garlic for this recipe. This hearty mixture is sauteed over medium heat with one of my favorite olive oils – Pompeian Robust Extra-Virgin Olive Oil. I love this oil because it adds so much incredible flavor to this recipe. Once the mirepoix is ready, it’s added to a mixture of chicken broth and water. If desired, you can use only chicken broth; both homemade and store-bought chicken broth work well for this recipe.
Cooking the Chicken Soup
- Next, it’s time for the chicken! Chicken breast meat works very well for this hearty soup but chicken thigh or even bone-in chicken drumsticks will also work well. I sauté the cubed chicken in Pompeian Robust EVOO just until it’s nicely browned all over. The chicken doesn’t need to be cooked all the way through; it will finish cooking in the soup.
- Add the browned chicken into the soup, along with the cubed sweet potatoes.
- To add the maximum amount of flavor, I season this soup with salt and black pepper, smoked paprika and herbs de Provence – a mixture of basil, thyme, rosemary and lavender. This herb blend is perfect for this kale chicken soup!
- Simmer the soup away for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the chopped kale last – it needs to cook for about 1 minute and then the soup can be enjoyed! Serve the soup with additional cracked black pepper and a drizzle of the Robust EVOO on top. I like to enjoy this soup with a side of warm rustic baguette.
Pompeian Olive Oil
I love having Pompeian in my kitchen and if you follow my recipes you know that I use their products all the time! This imported, first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil is authentically crafted by Pompeian’s family of olive farmers and olive oil craftsmen whose passion, expertise and dedication bring the best-tasting, highest-quality olive oils to kitchens everywhere. Pompeian Robust EVOO is not only great for this soup recipe but is also the perfect partner for your pasta, marinades and salad dressings recipes. It’s also great for dipping, too! For more delicious Pompeian recipes, visit their website: www.pompeian.com and check them out on Instagram, too!
Enjoyed this chicken soup recipe? Check out my other Pompeian recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Korean Beef Tacos – delicious tacos with creamy kimchi slaw and spicy pepper sauce!
- Smoky Ratatouille – just like in the famous movie! This recipe is a classic!
Enjoyed this recipe? Share it to Pinterest!
Sweet Potato Kale Chicken Soup (video)
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Pompeian Robust Extra -Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 large chicken breasts, cubed
- Salt and black pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp herbs de Provence
- 1 medium bundle kale
- Peel the sweet potatoes first, then use a sharp knife to cube the potatoes into bite sized pieces. Place into a bowl and set aside.
- Next, prepare the mirepoix. Preheat a large frying pan over medium heat and add a drizzle, about 1 Tablespoon, of Pompeian Robust Extra -Virgin Olive Oil. Into the hot pan, add the diced onion, carrots and celery. Sauté the mixture for 4 to 5 minutes, until the onions are tender.
- Meanwhile, pour the water and broth into a large soup pot. Once the mirepoix is done, add it to the pot.
- Into the same pan, add more Pompeian Robust EVOO if needed and add the cubed chicken breasts. Season the meat generously with salt and sauté for 6 to 7 minutes, until the meat is browned all over. It does not need to be cooked all the way through; it will finish cooking in the soup. Add the chicken into the pot once it’s nicely browned.
- To the soup, add the chopped sweet potatoes, smoked paprika, herbs de Provence and stir to combine. Season the soup with salt and black pepper to taste. Cover the pot with a lid and bring up to a simmer. Cook for 14 to 16 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the kale. Wash the kale thoroughly, then use a sharp knife to cut away the hard, fibrous stalks and discard them. Chop the kale into bite sized pieces. When the soup is almost done, add the kale and cook for 1 minute. Remove the soup from heat and serve with additional cracked black pepper on top and a drizzle of Pompeian Robust EVOO. Serve with a side of rustic baguette, if desired.
- Enjoyed this recipe? Please consider leaving me a comment or rating review below to help my blog!