My mom’s amazing chicken soup recipe! Nothing beats a comforting bowl of warm chicken soup when you’re feeling under the weather or when it’s cold outside! This delicious kale and quinoa chicken soup recipe hits the sweet spot and will satisfy all your comfort food cravings. Plus, I season the soup with lots of herbs like fresh dill, thyme and dried basil. This version is with nutritious kale and wholesome quinoa will boost your immune system and get you feeling great in no time!
Watch My Chicken Soup Video!
Watch my YouTube video recipe for step-by-step instructions and more tips! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Quinoa Chicken Soup
You’ll love how EASY this soup is to make!
- First, prepare the chicken. You can use chicken thigh or chicken breast for this recipe! Cube the meat into bite-sized pieces, then brown all over in a little bit of oil.
- Next, prepare the aromatics – carrots, celery and onion. Simply sweat these ingredients until they’re tender. Fill your soup pot with broth and water, add the chicken, add the aromatics and cook away!
- Add the quinoa and kale next and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes until the quinoa is done.
- Finally, add the fresh herbs at the end for more flavor!
Serving Suggestions for Kale Chicken Soup
I love to enjoy this soup with a little bit of toasted bread on the side and even a bit of sour cream as a spread or I just add it directly into the soup. The sour cream is my Ukrainian twist on the recipe! This soup is incredibly aromatic and I promise you, you’ll want to eat more than one bowl of it!
Enjoyed this delicious chicken soup recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Chicken Noodle Soup – this classic recipe is always a good idea!
- Sweet Potato Kale Chicken Soup – another amazing soup with kale and sweet potatoes!
- Sweet Potato Kale Salad – massaged kale with oven-roasted sweet potatoes and cheese!
- Best Beef Stew – hundreds of 5-star reviews for this delicious comfort food dish!
- Smoky Bacon Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup – the most delicious chicken soup recipe! Extra creamy with bacon bits, parmesan cheese and gnocchi!
Share it on Pinterest!
Kale & Quinoa Chicken Soup (video)
- 4 organic chicken thighs, cubed
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2-3 carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3 large kale leaves, chopped; hard stem removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each: ground black pepper, garlic powder, dried basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, optional
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 7-8 cups water or chicken/vegetable broth
- Prepare and chop all the vegetables and set aside.
- Preheat a medium fry pan over medium heat and add a splash of olive oil. Add the chicken to the hot pan and season with a pinch of kosher salt. Fry for 8-10 minutes until chicken is browned; it may not be cooked all the way through, that is okay. Transfer the chicken into a large soup pot.
- Keep pan over medium heat and add the onion, carrots and celery. Sweat the aromatics until tender, but not browned. Transfer into soup pot.
- Into the pot, add the seasonings: salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, basil and thyme. Add water/broth. Cover the pot with a lid and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the kale, quinoa and dill (if using). Cover pot with lid and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked. Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes. Served with toasted baguette.