Want to make your own sushi at home? Start with this delicious spicy salmon sushi roll recipe with avocado, cucumber and tobiko! The creamy avocado and the crunchy and refreshing cucumber pair perfectly with the spicy salmon and briny tobiko. It’s a simple combination of flavors with easy to source ingredients! Plus, I’m sharing an easy sushi rice recipe. If you haven’t watched my ‘How To Make Sushi’ video, make sure it to check it out for more detailed sushi making instructions!
Watch My Video!
Watch my step-by-step video recipe and learn how to make this easy salmon sushi roll! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Selecting Your Seafood
The most important and crucial part of sushi, whether at home or in a restaurant, is the seafood: fish, crab, scallops, etc. It’s very important to buy and use only the freshest, sushi-grade seafood for taste and for food-safety reasons. I get my sushi-grade fish from a Japanese supermarket and a local fish market that delivers to sushi restaurants across town. If you’re not sure about the quality, always ask! Most seafood comes frozen and is then thawed in the store.
You’ll need just a few simple tools for making sushi at home! You can buy a sushi kit (affiliate link) with everything you need or a few individual tools like a bamboo rolling mat and a sharp knife to cut your fish and rolls. I recommend also getting a wooden spoon for the rice and chopsticks for serving.
Share it on Pinterest!
Spicy Salmon Sushi Roll (video)
- 1 1/2 cups short grain Japanese rice
- 1 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- sushi-grade salmon: I purchase mine at a Japanese specialty store
- tabiko, avocado, cucumber, spicy mayo, eel sauce
- tamari, wasabi paste
- nori seaweed sheets
- Rinse rice in fine mesh strainer under cold water for a few minutes then shake off excess water. Place into large sauce pot along with water. Cook covered over low/medium heat, bring to a simmer, turn heat down to low and cook just until water is evaporated - about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In small saucepan, combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Cook over low heat and stir until dissolved. Pour over prepared rice, stir with wooden spoon, cover rice and let stand for at least 30 minutes before using. Let the rice cool enough so it's just warm to touch.
- Other ingredients/tools needed, all based on preference: wooden bamboo rolling mat dried nori seaweed sheets
- Spread thin layer of rice over nori sheet. Moisten hands with water and oil mixture to keep the rice from sticking. Top with desired fillings and roll as show in video demonstration. Serve salmon sushi roll immediately.