Looking for a tasty seafood appetizer recipe that will impress your dinner guests? These caviar and salmon canapes are it! A classic combination of smoked salmon and caviar, topped with capers and dill on top of toast bread! These elegant salmon canapes comes together in no time and is great with white wine or champagne. Arrange them on a large platter and you’re set for the evening!
How to Make Smoked Salmon Canapes
These canapes are so easy to make and very impressive! Here’s how to make them!
- The Base: These smoked salmon canapes can be made a couple different ways. You can use toasted bread, cocktail bread, crackers or even blini (pancakes) to use for the base.
- The Spread: combine the cheese, cream and dill in a small bowl, then spread onto each toast or blini.
- The Toppings: top the bread with a slice of smoked salmon and garnish the top with a bit of salmon roe, fresh dill and even a tiny dollop of sour cream.
Common Recipe Questions
Can I make these canapes ahead of time?
Yes, you can make these up to 1 hour ahead of time. You can also prepare all the ingredients and keep them separate, then assemble when you’re ready to enjoy!
What kind of caviar should I use?
These canapes can be enjoyed with salmon roe, or even black sturgeon caviar.
A Family Favorite!
Growing up in a Russian household, I learned to love these flavors from childhood – caviar, dill, smoked fish. Fresh dill is added to just about every savory dish in the Ukrainian and Slavic cuisine; it’s an integral flavor component of many dishes. This simple appetizer is no exception! I personally love the combination of flavors – salty salmon roe with creamy sour cream, smoky salmon, refreshing dill and briny capers! Can you ask for a better appetizer?!
Enjoyed this seafood appetizer? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Smoked Salmon Crepes – delicate savory crepes filled with smoked salmon and avocado!
- Smoked Salmon Cream Puffs – the most delicious savory profiteroles with fluffy smoked salmon and cream cheese filling!
- Smoked Salmon Tea Sandwiches – easy, classic sandwich recipe with cucumbers and fresh dill!
Enjoyed this recipe? Share it to Pinterest!
Caviar & Smoked Salmon Canapes Recipe
- 4 ounces nova smoked salmon
- 1/4 cup plain goat cheese, or sour cream
- 1/4 cup crème fraiche
- 2 tsp fresh chopped dill
- dash of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons capers
- small bunch fresh dill, for garnish
- 2 tbsp sour cream , for garnish
- 1/4 cup salmon roe , or other caviar
- 1 fresh artisan baguette, or 16 mini pancakes/blini
- Slice the baguette into 1/8 inch slices and toast lightly. Set them onto a plate and cool.
- Combine the goat cheese and crème fraiche in a small bowl, along with the chopped dill and salt. Stir until the mixture is smooth. Spread 1/2 tablespoon to 1 tablespoon, onto each slice.
- Top the bread/blini with the smoked salmon, shaping it delicately to create pleasant presentation. Spoon the caviar on top of the salmon and top with small sprig of fresh dill, capers and sour cream.
- Serve immediately or within 30 minutes of making – keep chilled if making ahead of time.