Creamy, fluffy, aromatic and delicious! If you love the classic tiramisu recipe, you’ll love these dessert cups! My tiramisu is made with a creamy vanilla custard filling, combined with sponge cake soaked with coffee and Kahlua. These individual tiramisu parfaits are easy to make and perfect for any special occasion! I made this dessert for my sister’s wedding last year and I still get asked for the recipe! They were the biggest hit at the wedding reception!
Watch My Video Recipe!
Watch my step-by-step video tutorial to see how these mini tiramisu desserts are made! And make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel to get updates whenever a new recipe goes live!
How To Make Tiramisu Filling
The creamy custard filling in tiramisu is the most important part of the dessert! It’s all about making a creamy, smooth and sweet custard that complements the coffee-soaked cookies or cake. I make my tiramisu filling with a made-from-scratch custard, a bit of cream cheese and whipped cream. This filling is super easy to make but it can break if the instructions are not followed. Here are a few tips for making the filling:
- Cook the custard over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. High heat will cause the cornstarch to break apart, causing the custard to separate. If this does happen, remove the custard from the heat and add the cornstarch slurry again.
- Allow the custard to cool completely before combining with the whipped cream. The custard can be prepared even a few days ahead of time and kept refrigerated.
- Whisk the chilled heavy cream first, then add the cooled custard. Mix just until combined, about 30 seconds. DO NOT overmix the filling.
Sponge Cake or Lady Fingers?
For these individual tiramisu parfaits, I decided to go with a classic sponge cake instead of using lady fingers. I have a hard time finding lady fingers sometimes and using sponge cake has actually turned out to be a better tasting option, too! I prepare the sponge cake in a jelly roll pan, then cut the cake into smaller squares – super easy and the cake is much fluffier and softer than cookies.
Enjoyed this classic dessert recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Strawberry Tiramisu Cake – this no-bake strawberry cake is always a huge hit with everyone!
- Tiramisu Crepe Cake Recipe – 40 layers of delicate crepes and tiramisu filling!
- Tiramisu Cheesecake Recipe – rich and fluffy cheesecake with tiramisu flavors!
- Tiramisu Macarons – coffee and almond-flavored French cookies!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
If you’re making these tiramisu parfaits for a party, use these plastic parfait cups for serving – perfect size and disposable!
If you’re making these for a special occasion, use these fancy brandy glasses!
My classic KitchenAid stand mixer is a must for every kitchen, and this smaller handheld mixer will work great, too!
I love my aluminum half-sheet pans for baking the sponge cake.