Whenever fall and Thanksgiving rolls around, I always crave for pumpkin pie! And what’s even more eye-catching than these mini pumpkin pie tarts with meringue!? They’re made with buttery pie crust, filled with pumpkin pie filling and finished with dollops of meringue! These tartlets are elegant and easy to make! Make these next time you need a great dessert for your holiday party, or a treat to bring to a potluck.
My Pumpkin Pie Tarts Video Tutorial
Watch my YouTube video tutorial for step-by-step instructions for making these mini pumpkin pie tarts! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website emailing list and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Ingredients for Mini Pumpkin Pie Tarts
Here are the main ingredients you’ll need to make this easy fall dessert:
- Pumpkin Puree: unsweetened canned puree is the best and easiest option for this recipe.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: for sweetening the pumpkin pie filling. This thickened milk also thickens the fillings!
- Cinnamon, Nutmeg, All-Spice: I love to add lots of spices to the filling for maximum pumpkin spice flavor!
- Golden Rum: the rum adds a great flavor profile to the recipe! The alcohol will cook off during the baking process. If you don’t want to add this, replace the rum with milk instead.
- Premade Pie Crusts: using store bought pie crusts makes this recipe super easy. If you want to make your own crust, I have that recipe linked down below!
- Egg Whites: for making the meringue topping. The meringue is not raw! The egg whites get cooked with a super hot sugar syrup!
The Pie Crust
For these pumpkin pie tartlets, I used premade, store-bought pie crust. All you have to do is unroll it and use! Unroll the pie crust and use a small circle cookie cutter for each tartlet. Gently press the dough into a mini cupcake pan. Want to make your own, homemade butter crust? Check out my ‘All-Butter Pie Crust’ video recipe for an in-depth tutorial! You can make your own pie crust up to a week in advance and just keep it refrigerated until ready to use.
The Pumpkin Pie Filling
The pumpkin filling for this recipe is amazing! It includes loads of pumpkin (of course!), along with lots of spices such as cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and all-spice! And for my secret ingredient – golden rum! Don’t worry, the alcohol will get baked out of the tarts so these are kid-friendly! The rum adds a unique and robust flavor to the filling that only makes it better!
How to Make Mini Pumpkin Pie Tarts
These mini pumpkin pie tarts are quick and easy to make! Here’s how I put them together!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. You will need a 24-count mini cupcake pan. Roll out the premade pie crusts and using 1 1/2 to 2-inch circle cookie cutter, cut out circles for each tart. Line each mini cupcake tin and gently press the dough using your fingers or the back of a spoon. Re-knead and reuse the dough as needed until all tins are full.
- Combine all pumpkin pie filling ingredients in bowl and mix until well combined: pureed pumpkin, condensed milk, egg, butter, milk, rum and spices. Fill the mini cupcake tins with pumpkin pie filling, about 2/3 full.
- Bake the tarts in the preheated oven for about 24 to 26 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven and let the tartlets cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Next, make the meringue topping and garnish the tarts!
The Meringue Topping
To garnish these pumpkin pie tartlets, I went with a fluffy meringue to give these tarts some light and fluffy texture. Don’t worry, this meringue does not have raw egg whites! They are cooked instantly with the super hot sugar syrup!
- First, whisk the eggs whites to soft peak stage, then prepare the sugar syrup.
- Pour the hot syrup directly into the egg whites with the mixer on low speed. Don’t let the syrup cool! The egg whites will get cooked with the hot sugar syrup. Once added, turn up the mixer speed and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe the meringue on top, then garnish with toffee chips or mini chocolate chips. If you have a butane food torch, try burning the meringue for even more flavor!
Enjoyed this delicious tartlet recipe? Check out some of other delicious options!
- Maple Bourbon Pumpkin Pie – you’ll love this amazing pumpkin pie recipe with a hint of maple syrup and bourbon!
- Classic Pecan Pie – the BEST ever pecan pie, made with maple syrup instead of corn syrup!
- Raspberry Lemon Tartlets – sweet and tart tartlets topped with meringue!
- No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake – extra fluffy and delicious pumpkin cake!
- Caramel Pecan Pumpkin Cake – the ultimate pumpkin recipe with caramel frosting!
Share it on Pinterest!
Mini Pumpkin Pie Tarts with Meringue (video)
- 15 ounces pureed pumpkin
- 7 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup golden rum, or milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: ground ginger, allspice, nutmeg
- 2 pre-made pie crusts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350F. You will need a 24-count mini cupcake pan. Roll out the premade pie crusts and using circle cookie cutter, cut out circles. Line each mini cupcake tin and gently press the dough using your fingers or the back of a spoon. Re-knead and reuse the dough as needed until all tins are full.
- Combine all pie ingredients in bowl and mix until well combined: pureed pumpkin, condensed milk, egg, butter, milk, rum and spices. Fill the mini cupcake tins with pumpkin filling, about 2/3 full. Bake in preheated oven for about 24 to 26 minutes until crust starts turning golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven and let the tartlets cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Place the egg whites into mixer bowl and whisk on high speed for about 2 minutes, just until soft peaks form. Meanwhile, place the 1/3 cup sugar and water into a small saucepan. Heat over medium/low heat until syrup reaches soft ball stage, about 238F. Immediately, start slowly pouring in the syrup into the egg whites with the mixer running on low speed. Then turn speed to high and whisk until egg whites are thick and glossy, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the prepared meringue into pastry bag tipped with a star tip and pipe dollops of meringue onto each tartlet. For more garnishes, try adding toffee bits onto the meringue and drizzle with caramel sauce.