If you love strawberries, you’re going to love these easy and delicious strawberry cupcakes! They’re made with a strawberry vanilla cake batter and dotted with fresh diced strawberries. I frosted them with a light and fruity strawberry buttercream, using my ‘Strawberry Rhubarb Jam’ recipe. This easy cupcake recipe is perfect for parties, picnics or just because!
Watch My Strawberry Cupcake Video!
Watch my YouTube video recipe for all the details and step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Strawberry Cupcakes
These strawberry cupcakes start with an easy and delicious vanilla cake batter dotted with diced berries! The cake is moist and so flavorful!
- Before starting the cupcake batter, get the oven preheating. The recipe takes just a few minutes to put together!
- First, mix together the wet ingredients in a large bowl, then sift in the dry ingredients. I like to add a bit of strawberry extract or emulsion (affiliate link) for more strawberry flavor. Fold in the diced strawberries last and the batter is all done!
- Bake the cupcakes for about 18 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Make sure to cool the cupcakes completely before frosting with the strawberry buttercream!! If the cupcakes are still warm, the frosting will melt and slide right off!
How to Make Strawberry Buttercream
You’ll love the fluffy, creamy and fruity strawberry frosting I use for these cupcakes! This recipe is made with a simple buttercream base, using my standard ‘Vanilla Buttercream’ recipe. The secret to a great buttercream is whisking the butter before adding anything else! I recommend whisking the butter on high speed for 7 to 9 minutes and scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl often, until the butter is pale in color and fluffy. Only then add the remaining ingredients!
Special note: make sure to add the strawberry preserves LAST! Have the buttercream all done, then add the jam and whisk for 15 to 20 seconds, just until it’s incorporated. Overmixing can cause the buttercream to separate! I used 3 tablespoons of my ‘Strawberry Rhubarb Jam’ for these cupcakes. It’s sweet and tart and so delicious! Store-bought jam will also work well!
Enjoyed this easy strawberry cupcakes recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Italian Coconut Cream Cupcakes – light and fluffy and so delicious! These coconut cupcakes are topped with meringue buttercream!
- Chocolate Toffee Cupcakes – rich chocolate cupcakes topped with salted caramel buttercream and toffee bits!
- Strawberry Basil Cupcakes – these berry cupcakes are topped with a unique basil buttercream!
- Raspberry Lemon Surprise Cupcakes – these lemon cupcakes are filled with lemon curd and topped with raspberry buttercream!
- Maple Carrot Cake Cupcakes – sweetened with maple syrup, these cupcakes are so delicious, with cream cheese frosting!
Share it on Pinterest!
Easy Strawberry Cupcakes Recipe (video)
For Strawberry Cupcakes:
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup cooking oil, canola, vegetable, avocado, olive
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp strawberry extract or emulsion
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup diced strawberries
For Strawberry Buttercream:
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 to 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp strawberry extract or emulsion
- pinch of salt
- 2 to 3 tbsp strawberry preserves
- fresh strawberries, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F/177C. Line 18 cupcake tins with paper liners, or spray the insides with a baking spray.
- Into a large mixing bowl, add the wet ingredients plus the sugar: eggs, milk, oil, sugar, vanilla and strawberry extract. Using a mixer or a hand whisk, whisk on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and the eggs are well beaten. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt. Sift the dry ingredients into the cake batter. Mix on medium speed for about 1 minute, just until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Watch my video recipe to see how it’s done.
- Next, gently fold in the diced strawberry. Using a measuring scoop, fill each cupcake tin about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full. Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes, until the tops of the cupcakes are golden brown. Remove them from the oven and let the cupcakes cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the buttercream. Place the softened butter into a mixer bowl and whisk on high speed for 7 to 9 minutes, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl often, until the butter is light, fluffy and pale white in color. Next, add the confectioner’s sugar, strawberry extract and salt. Add more sugar for a thicker frosting. Start mixing the sugar into the butter on a low speed, then turn up to high speed, and continue whisking for another 2 to 3 minutes. The buttercream should be very light and fluffy! Scrape down the sides of your mixing bowl often.
- Next, add in the berry preserves. Mix the preserves into the buttercream on high speed for 15 to 20 seconds, just until they’re incorporated; do not overmix!! Transfer the prepared buttercream into a pastry bag tipped with star tip; I used Ateco tip #847. Pipe generous dollops of buttercream onto completely cooled cupcakes. Garnish the top with small strawberries, if desired.