The best heart-shaped sugar cookie recipe for Valentine’s Day or special occasions! These soft and buttery heart sugar cookies are frosted with my ‘Raspberry Buttercream’, which is made with real raspberry flavor! You’ll love the tart berry flavor with the sweet cookies! I love to garnish these cookies with festive sprinkles to make them extra special! Don’t wait all year to enjoy these Valentine’s Day cookies! You use this recipe for sugar cookies for just about any shape and with any flavor of buttercream!
Watch My Video!
Watch my YouTube video recipe for step-by-step instructions on how to make these easy cookies! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Making the Sugar Cookie Dough
This easy and delicious heart sugar cookie recipe yields soft and delicate cookies that are perfect for any occasion! I like to use a hand mixer for this recipe but a stand mixer will also work well! I start this recipe off with the butter and sugar. You’ll need softened butter for the cookie batter and I recommend removing the butter from the fridge at least an hour or two before making the dough. Start by mixing the butter and sugar together for a few minutes until the mixture is creamy, then add in the egg and vanilla. I always add the flour, baking powder and salt last.
Once you’ve added the flour, keep mixing until a dough ball forms. The sugar cookie dough will at first look crumbly, as if it needs more moisture. Just keep mixing it until it comes together into a smooth ball. I even use my hands sometimes to combine the dough until it’s uniform.
Chilling the Cookie Dough
The secret to making the perfect heart sugar cookies is to let the dough chill. Chilling the dough is crucial for these cookies!! You do not want to skip this step! The chilled cookie dough will retain its shape while it bakes, creating beautifully shaped cookies. If you do not chill the dough, it will spread out as it bakes and create a mess! There are two main methods for this step.
- The first method I’ll share is the one I prefer and the one I demonstrate in my video tutorial. Once I have the sugar cookie dough ready, I divide it half and roll it out on a lightly floured work surface, then transfer the cookies onto a baking sheet. I recommend rolling the dough to ¼-inch thickness. I refrigerate the cookies on lined baking sheets for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- The second method is great if you want to make the sugar cookie dough ahead of time and plan to make the cookies later. For this method, wrap the prepared cookie dough tightly with plastic wrap; wrap twice for good measure! Next, refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour. Once you’re ready to make the cookies, simply divide the dough and roll it out. The dough should be handled minimally by hand, as the warmth of your hands will start to melt the butter and soften the dough too much.
Baking Sugar Cookies
Once I have my heart shaped sugar cookies shaped and chilled, it’s time for the oven! I bake these cookies in my preheated oven set to 350F/177C for about 12 minutes. Every oven bakes a little differently so I recommend starting your first batch of cookies at 10 minutes and increase the time as needed. The cookies should stay pale white in color on the top and just slightly golden underneath. Don’t over bake the cookies! Once they’re baked, I let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then I transfer them onto a wire rack to cool completely. These heart shaped cookies will be super fragile when you first remove them for the oven so try to be careful handling them.
The Best Raspberry Frosting!
These incredible heart sugar cookies are frosted with one of my all-time favorite frostings! I’m using my Raspberry Buttercream, made with real raspberry flavor! This buttercream is tart and fruity and the perfect choice of these cookies! The best way to frost the cookies is to use a pastry bag and pipe the frosting onto the cookies. Check out my video tutorial to see how it’s done! I used a small, round tip (Wilton #12) to pipe the frosting. Garnish the top with sprinkles to make these Valentine’s Day cookies extra special!
Since this frosting is made with real butter, I recommend keeping the cookies stored in the refrigerator if you don’t plan to eat them all the same day. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge and remove them about 30 minutes to an hour before enjoying, to allow the cookies and buttercream to soften.
Enjoyed these incredible, Valentine’s Day cookies? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy for the holiday!
- Heart-Shaped Cherry Macarons – if you love macarons, you’ll love these heart macarons with maraschino cherry flavor!
- Triple Strawberry Macarons – the best strawberry French macarons with strawberry buttercream and jam filling!
- Lemon Raspberry Macarons – one of my favorite French macaron flavors!! With tart raspberry and lemon flavors!
- Raspberry Lemon Mini Tarts – these cute mini tarts are filled with lemon curd, raspberry sauce and topped with meringue!
- Strawberry Cream Puffs – profiteroles are way easier to make than you think! These are filled with strawberry whipped cream!
Share in on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
- Heart Shaped Cookie Cutters – I love this set of cookie cutters because it has multiple sizes!
- KitchenAid Hand Mixer – this is the mixer I use and I love it! It’s quiet and powerful and gets the job done!
- Silicone Mats – I use these mats for just about everything, even roasting vegetables!
- Fancy Sprinkles – these lux sprinkles are perfect for decorating cookies for a special occasion!