What can make French macarons even more fun to make? Making heart-shaped macarons! These delicate French cookies are a delight to have and to share for special occasions! This cherry macaron recipe is made with fruit-flavored macaron shells and filled with a maraschino cherry buttercream filling. To make these even more special, try drizzling the top of the cookies with melted chocolate, add sprinkles or other edible decorations.
Watch My Video!
Watch my YouTube video recipe for step-by-step instructions and watch me make these cookies! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
French Macarons Tips
Making these cherry macarons can seem intimidating but practice makes perfect! If you’ve never made heart-shaped macarons before, try using a template underneath your parchment paper/mat to use as a guide for piping the batter. Here are a few more tips for success:
Here are few tips to help you with baking and enjoying these heart-shaped macarons!
- Whisk the egg whites just until they reach stiff peak stage. Under mixing will result in a flat batter; over mixing can cause the cookies to spread while baking.
- Fold the batter thoroughly, flattening the egg whites against the side of your mixing bowl. BUT, be careful – you don’t want to over mix the batter! That will also cause your cookies to be just flat, shapeless disks.
- Allow those cookies to REST! Let the cookies stand for an hour at room temperature, allowing a thin shell to form on the outside. This shell gives the cookies their shape so it’s crucial! If your macarons are cracking on top, you might need to let the cookies rest longer. If you live in a humid climate, extend the timing even more as humidity and moisture will prevent a shell from forming.
- If you are baking colored or white macarons on parchment paper and want to avoid a burnt or yellow bottom, line the bottom of pan with a silicon mat. I prefer to bake on parchment paper because I get better results but every oven bakes different so try both methods!
- I recommend keeping these refrigerated for at least two days to allow the macarons to ‘mature’. When they ‘mature’, the shells become softer and even more delicious! Take them out at least an hour before enjoying to allow the cookies to thaw and come up to room temperature.
The Cherry Flavor
I made this cherry macaron recipe with maraschino cherry buttercream filling – it adds the most cherry flavor. Regular, canned sweet cherries will also work well for this, as would cherry preserves. For even more cherry flavor, try adding some cherry extract into the macaron batter. I find that cherry is a very fitting filling for this recipe but maraschino cherries aren’t for everyone! If you prefer a different filling, try adding diced strawberry or crushed, freeze-dried raspberries! Check out my other macaron recipes below for more filling ideas.
Perfect for Holidays!
Not only are these Maraschino-filled heart-shaped macarons delicious and adorable, they’re easy to make! They’re a great gift to give away to that special someone, or to enjoy all for yourself! Make these cookies for the holidays, like Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day and even International Women’s Day! They are also beautiful for romantic dinners, bridal showers and even birthdays! Try gifting them in disposable cookie box, like this one here on Amazon (affiliate link).
Enjoyed these beautiful macarons? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Heart Sugar Cookies – the best, soft sugar cookie recipe with raspberry buttercream! Perfect for Valentines’ Day!
- These ‘Triple Strawberry Macarons’ are also great for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day or year-round!
- And my ‘Raspberry Lemon Macarons’ recipe is one of my all-time favorite!
- Champagne Peach Macarons – with sparkling wine and peach flavor, filled with peach buttercream!
- Triple Lemon Macarons – these are so zesty and delicious, with lemon curd and lemon buttercream!
Enjoyed this recipe? Please share and save it to Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
This set of jumbo cake decorating tips includes a simple round tip and star tips for filling.
Get a set of disposable pastry bags – no more washing any bags!
You can use parchment paper or these silicone mats for baking.
I love my classic KitchenAid stand mixer – a must for every kitchen!
And this kitchen scale is a must for making perfect macarons!