Orange Marmalade Cake (video)
How elegant and stunning does this orange marmalade cake look?! This orange cake is the ultimate treat for citrus lovers! It’s made with delicate orange vanilla cake layers with orange liqueur, frosted with a creamy orange buttercream and filled with orange marmalade! Plus, I garnished the cake with a chocolate ganache and fresh orange wedges for a simple finish! The combination of the sweet and tender vanilla cake with tangy orange marmalade is perfection!
Watch My Orange Cake Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details and step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Orange Marmalade Cake
You’ll love all the flavor in the marmalade cake! For this zesty cake, I start with delicate and moist white cake layers loaded with tons of orange flavor! I start with a simple, vanilla cake recipe and then add more flavor. I add orange liqueur directly into the batter and you can also add the zest of one or two orange for an even more intense flavor. If you don’t have orange liqueur, you can also add a bit of orange oil that’s typically used for candy. It’s intense and will add so much great flavor!
Assembling the Orange Cake
Once the orange vanilla cake layers are cooled, I spread each layer with sweet and tangy orange marmalade. I love the slightly bitter flavor from the orange rind; it combines so well with the sweet cake and chocolate ganache. And you can’t have an orange marmalade cake without orange buttercream frosting! I added more orange liqueur to the buttercream; feel free to add orange zest to the mix, too!
To add the finishing touches, I poured over some chocolate ganache – it’s the perfect addition to this marmalade cake! It adds both beauty and incredible flavor! I have a separate video recipe for my ‘Chocolate Ganache’ if you want a more in-depth tutorial for making it! Add some orange wedges on top to finish off the cake!
Enjoyed this delicious, zesty cake recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Orange Chocolate Cake Bars – the most delicious orange chocolate sheet cake covered with chocolate ganache!
- Chocolate Orange Cheesecake – rich, chocolate cake with orange zest, whipped cream and more oranges!
- Upside-Down Orange Honey Cake – delicate honey cake with orange slices baked right in; assembled with a simple whipped cream!
- Mandarin Mousse Cake – this fluffy citrus mousse cake is dotted with mandarin pieces and topped with orange jello!
Please share and save it to Pinterest!
Orange Marmalade Cake (video)
For White Cake Layers:
- 1 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup semi-melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For Orange Butter Cream:
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- orange food coloring
For Chocolate Ganache:
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1 large orange, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line 2, 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar and eggs until smooth. Whisk in orange liquor and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt.
- Sift the flour into the cake batter using a fine-mesh sifter, whisking after each addition. Alternate adding the flour with adding 1 cup milk. Whisk batter just until smooth. Divide cake batter evenly between the two pans and bake in preheated oven until center is set, about 35 minutes. Test by inserting a toothpick into the center; it should come out clean.
- Remove baked cakes from pans and cool completely on wire racks. Once cakes are completely cooled, use a long serrated knife to split the layers in half, creating 4 layers.
- Prepare the butter cream: whisk the butter on high speed for several minutes, until light and fluffy. Whisk in softened cream cheese until well incorporated. Add the orange liquor and orange food coloring. Begin adding the confectioner's sugar, 1 cup at a time; scrap down sides of bowl often.
- To assemble the cake: soak each cake layer lightly with orange juice (can add more orange liquor along with the juice for more flavor). Spread a generous amount of frosting over each cake layer, then top with about 3 tablespoons of orange marmalade. Repeat for remaining cake layers, except the top layer.
- Frost outside of the cake with a thin layer of frosting, sealing in the edges. Refrigerator for 20 minutes. Remove and frost with final layer of frosting, making sure to even off the top of the cake as much as possible. Set back into the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate ganache. Heat 1/4 cup cream in microwave until very hot, then add the chocolate chips and stir until completely melted. Let the ganache stand for a few minutes.
- Pour ganache over the sides and top of cake; use a flat spatula to even off the top. Garnish with orange wedges. Keep cake refrigerated. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving to allow the butter cream to soften.
- Enjoyed this recipe? Please consider leaving me a comment or rating review to help my blog!
[…] View Recipe Link […]
This cake looks delicious. Oranges and chocolate…. yum, perfect combination. 🙂
Hi Tanya, in this recepi it says semi-melted butter, what does it mean? First time hearing this phrase 😉 thnks!
I just let my butter stand at room temperature until it was really soft 🙂
OH THANKS!:) one more question, what kind of marmelade you use?
Family couldn’t get enough of the taste of this cake! Perfect for birthdays and is a must try for anyone who hasn’t yet tasted the goodness of marmalade between cake layers!
I’m so glad you enjoy this cake! It’s a great cake for any occasion! 🙂