Looking for a super easy and delicious summer cake recipe? Look no further than this simple and elegant honey cherry cake! It’s made with loads of fresh cherries, a cherry-flavored kirsch whipped cream and real honey! It’s the perfect summer cake and a great way to use up some of those summer cherries! And, if you’re making this cake in the off-season, canned cherries will work great, too.
Watch My Cake Video!
Watch my video for step-by-step instructions and more tips! Want new recipe updates? Subscribe to my YouTube channel to get a notification each time a new recipe goes live!
Cherry Honey Cake
What I love about this cherry cake is that it isn’t too sweet – the cake itself is made only with honey as a natural sweetener and the whipped cream has just a touch of sugar. If you’re not a fan of super sweet cakes, this cake is for you! Once the cherries are baked, they become like little pots of sweet jam baked right into the cake. It’s also very moist and tender but not heavy. You’ll love the way the cake just disappears in your mouth and I guarantee you, you’ll be coming back for seconds!
Kirsch Whipped Cream
Every bite of this cherry cake is tender, moist and packed with cherry flavor, including the topping! I top the cake with a simple frosting – kirsch whipped cream. This easy frosting is made with heavy cream, sugar and cherry liqueur! If you love whipped cream with your cakes, make a large batch to have some extra on the side (I always do!) The whipped cream adds a light and airy component to the cake recipe that just can’t be missed!
Looking for more simple dessert and cake recipes? Check out some of my other easy and delicious recipes!
- Almond Cherry Bread – super easy and delicious cherry bread with sliced almonds and almond glaze!
- My ‘Chocolate Cherry Mousse Cake’ is so decadent and fluffy, with cherries and liqueur!
- Blueberry Peach Ricotta Cake – super easy and moist ricotta cake dotted with blueberries and topped with peaches!
- Blueberry Lemon Bundt Cake – this easy cake can be enjoyed for breakfast, too!
- My Summer Sangria Cake is always a huge hit with everyone!!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
Easy Honey Cherry Cake Recipe (video)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups pitted cherries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
For Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cherry liqueur, kirsch liqueur
- 1/4 cup cherry liqueur
- 1 tbsp honey
- fresh cherries, for topping
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 330F (165C). Line with parchment paper and grease the sides of a 9-inch (23-cm) spring form pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the plain yogurt, honey and egg yolks next. Mix again for a few minutes until the batter is smooth. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, almond flour, salt and baking powder. Sift the dry ingredients into the batter and then fold gently.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes, until stiff peaks form. Add the egg whites to the batter. Roughly chop the pitted cherries, then toss together with the cornstarch in a large bowl until the cherries are well coated; add to the batter. Fold the cherries and egg whites gently into the batter, keeping the egg whites as fluffy as possible.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared spring form pan and spread evenly with an off-set spatula. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely on a wire rack. Once cooled, use a wooden skewer to poke holes on the top.
- Prepare the syrup: simply combine the 1/4 cup kirsch liqueur and 1 tbsp honey. Use a pastry brush to soak the cake layer with prepared syrup.
- Prepare the whipped cream: in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the chilled heavy cream, kirsch liqueur and sugar until stiff peaks form. Transfer the whipped cream onto the cooled cake, sprinkle with slivered almonds and garnish with fresh cherries.
- If not serving right away, I recommend keeping the whipped cream separate in the refrigerator; keep the cake wrapped tightly in plastic wrap at room temperature. When ready to serve, top with the whipped cream.