A light and airy strawberry mousse made of cream, cream cheese and fruit-flavored gelatin, with sponge cake and lots of fresh fruit! This summer dessert is one of the best ways to incorporate fresh fruit!
Jello Fruit Mousse Cake
- Prep Time
- Difficulty Level Medium
- (4.9 /5)
- 8 Rating
- For Sponge Cake: (see also Sponge Cake Video Recipe)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup (67g) white granulated sugar
- ½ cup (62g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) baking powder
- For Mousse:
- 1 ½ cups EACH: diced strawberry, blueberry, nectarines (can use any fruit)
- 1 cup chopped mandarins
- 2 cups (473ml) heavy cream, kept cold
- ½ cup (100g) white granulated sugar
- 8 ounces (226g) whipped cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 6-ounce (170g) package Jello or any fruit-flavored gelatin (I used strawberry)
- 1 cup (236ml) boiling water
- 1 cup (236ml) cold water
- Prepare sponge cake: line the bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350F. Place eggs and sugar into mixer bowl and whisk on high speed until eggs are thick, foamy and almost white in color. Sift together flour and baking powder. Using spatula, carefully sift flour into eggs and fold gently after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pan, spread evenly to sides and bake in preheated oven until golden brown on top. Remove cake from oven and let cool completely before slicing in half. (Video recipe here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Io59_TEfo&list=UUkrdI6_uNjgw4LUbE6JCxmQ
- For fruit mousse: wash and dice fruit and set aside. Line 9-inch spring form pan with parchment paper on bottom and sides, leaving 2 inches overhang for the sides.
- Combine Jello/fruit gelatin and 1 cup boiling water; stir until completely dissolved. Add cold water and stir. Place gelatin into refrigerator to set. Important: the gelatin needs to set only about half way! Stir the Jello often so it doesn’t set completely and firmly. Remove from the refrigerator promptly. If gelatin sets too firmly, remove and let stand at room temperature to soft up.
- Place heavy cream and sugar into mixer bowl. Whisk on high speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add the softened cream cheese and whisk until no clumps remain. Whisk in Jello. Fold fruit in by hand.
- To assemble cake: place 1 layer of the sponge cake on the bottom of the prepared spring form pan. Top with half of the mousse, followed by second half of the sponge cake. Spoon remaining mousse on top. Spread evenly with spatula. Place into refrigerator for several hours or overnight to set completely.
- Garnish top of cake with fresh fruit or whipped cream if desired. To remove cake from pan, undo spring form and carefully peel back parchment paper.
- Keep refrigerated when not serving.