Not many recipes define warming comfort foods quite like this creamy sweet potato, tomato and sausage soup. This sweet potato soup recipe is our new favorite – it’s packed with incredible smoky flavor and tons of vegetables! It’s made with pineapple sausage (but you can use any kind), loads of sweet potato, mushrooms, zucchini, onion, garlic and even BACON! I love the smoky flavor of the bacon in this soup – it just makes this soup that much better. I love to enjoy this soup with plenty of toasted baguette on the side, too.
How It’s Made
This creamy sweet potato soup is so easy to make! You’ll be enjoying this hearty dish in no time!
- Step 1: In a large soup pot, over medium heat, render the sliced bacon until golden and crispy. Remove the bacon onto paper towels to cool, then dice once cooled; set aside. Slice the sausage into bite-sized pieces and add to the same pot. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes until well browned all over. Remove the sausage into a small bowl and set aside.
- Step 2: Into the same pot, add the diced onion, carrot and celery. Saute the mixture over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic last and fry for another minute. Scoop the mixture out of the pot into a separate bowl. Into the pot, add the diced zucchini and mushrooms. Fry the veggies for 3 to 4 minutes, until tender and browned.
- Step 3: Return the onion and celery mixture back into the pot and add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and red wine. Strip the fresh herbs from their stalks, give them a rough chop, then add to the soup along with the remaining spices and seasonings. Cook the mixture over medium-high heat until it comes to a simmer. Simmer for a few minutes, then add the broth, water, diced bacon and sweet potatoes.
- Step 4: Cover the pot and bring the soup up to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook the soup for about 16 to 18 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender. Add the sausage back into the pot and add the cream and Parmesan cheese. Allow the soup to come back up to a simmer and cook until the cheese is completely melted. Serve with a side of toasted French baguette.
Enjoyed this hearty and warming recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Smoky Chipotle Beef Chili – warming and hearty chili with loads of beef and smoky chipotle peppers!
- Try this ‘Creamy Butternut Bacon Bisque’ next – so creamy, smoky and delicious!
- My hearty, Ukrainian ‘Classic Beef Borscht’ is my favorite comfort food!
- The Best Beef Stew – this amazing recipe has hundreds of 5-star reviews on YouTube!
Share and save to Pinterest!