If you’re craving for some warming and hearty soup, this one-pan Italian soup recipe is a must-try! My minestrone soup is made with a rich, tomato base, sausage, beans and veggies! This tomato soup can be made with or without pasta and feel free to change up the beans and add your favorite variety! I love to enjoy this soup on colder fall or winter days with toasted bread – it warms you right up! It’s so flavorful and aromatic!
Preparing the Soup Base
This traditional Italian soup is so easy to make and flavorful! Just like for any soup recipe, it’s important to start with a good base. First, preheat your soup pot over medium heat, add a bit of cooking oil and add in the Italian sausage. Using your spatula, break up the sausage into small bits and let it brown all over for 4 to 5 minutes, until well browned all over. Use a slotted spoon to remove the sausage into a separate bowl.
- Next, add a bit of butter and allow it to melt; cooking oil will also work well. Into the melted butter, add the aromatics – the diced onion, celery and carrots. Saute this mixture for 3 to 4 minutes until the onions are translucent, then add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
Adding the Tomato Flavor
Once you have the minestrone soup base done, it’s time to season and add tomato flavor! Return the browned Italian sausage to the pot and add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and dried herbs. Also add in the broth and the water. Use a spoon or spatula to mix everything together and bring the soup to a simmer. Let the soup simmer away for about 2o to 30 minutes; the longer, the better! You want the broth to be super flavorful and aromatic!
Finishing the Recipe
Your soup is almost ready! The last few ingredients are the potatoes and beans and optional pasta. Dice the potatoes into pea-sized pieces for faster cooking. Add the potatoes and drained, canned beans and let the soup cook for another 5 minutes. If you want to add small pasta to the soup, check the package instructions first to determine cooking time. If the pasta cooks in 4 to 5 minutes, add it along with the potatoes. If it takes a few minutes longer, toss it in beforehand.
- Once the soup is done, turn off the heat and stir in the chopped parsley.
- Serve the minestrone soup with toasted bread!
Enjoyed this hearty Italian soup recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Beef Borscht – this iconic Russian beef and tomato soup is made with tender chunks of beef!
- Chicken Noodle Soup – another fantastic comfort food recipe! This chicken soup can lift your spirits!
- Best Beef Stew – the most delicious beef stew recipe ever, with mushrooms and slow-braised beef!
- Beef & Bean Chili – aromatic and warming beef chili with beans, topped with tortilla chips and avocado!
- Smoky Chipotle Beef Chili – warming and hearty chili with loads of beef and smoky chipotle peppers!
Share it on Pinterest!