Calling all coffee lovers! These cappuccino cupcakes with Kahlua buttercream are calling for you! If you’re a coffee-lover, you will definitely enjoy this sweet treat! These light and moist cupcakes aren’t too sweet and are perfectly complemented by the fluffy, sweet and boozy butter cream. They’re also incredibly aromatic, filling your kitchen with rich, coffee aroma! This recipe makes for 24 cupcakes but they’ll be gone in no time!
Watch My Coffee Cupcakes Video!
For all the recipe details, watch my YouTube video recipe! Want new recipe updates? Subscribe to my website emailing list and my YouTube channel to get a notification each time a new recipe goes live!
How to Make Cappuccino Cupcakes
This easy recipe for cappuccino cupcakes starts with a simple vanilla cake batter, then I add loads of coffee directly into the batter. I love this cake recipe because it yields a light and tender cake. I add a few tablespoons of instant coffee into the cake batter but you can also add a few teaspoons of coffee extract instead. Make sure to cool the cupcakes completely before adding the frosting!
To frost these sweet treats, I made an equally delicious coffee buttercream, flavored with Kahlua coffee liqueur. You’ll want this buttercream with every dessert! If you want to add extra coffee or Kahlua flavor, try soaking the cupcakes with a bit of the liqueur using a pastry brush before you add the frosting. And I sprinkled a bit more instant coffee granules over the top as a finishing touch.
Kahlua Coffee Buttercream
You’ll want this coffee and Kahlua buttercream with all your cakes and cupcakes! It’s super easy to make and delicious. Here’s how it’s made:
- Mix the softened butter in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy, for about 5 to 7 minutes. It should be light and white in color.
- Add the Kahlua and heavy cream, then begin adding the confectioner’s sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Make sure to scrap down the sides of the mixer bowl often. Add the salt and mix for another 5 minutes to get a very fluffy butter cream.
- Transfer frosting into a pastry bag. Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, frost with Kahlua buttercream.
Enjoyed these delicious cupcakes? Check out some of my other dessert recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Italian Coconut Cupcakes – delicate coconut cakes with fluffy Italian Meringue coconut frosting!
- Strawberry Cupcakes – made with strawberry vanilla cake and topped with the best strawberry buttercream!
- Chocolate Toffee Cupcakes – rich chocolate cakes with salted caramel buttercream and toffee bits!
Enjoyed this recipe? Share it on Pinterest!
Cappuccino Cupcakes With Kahlua Buttercream (video)
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk or whole milk
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee
For Kahlua Buttercream:
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup Kahlua liquor, or strong espresso
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 24-tin cupcake pan with liners; I used my 12-cup pan twice since I only have one 12-cup pan.
- I recommend mixing the ingredients by hand to avoid over-mixing, which will lead to a dome-shaped cupcake. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine together the flour, baking powder and salt. Measure out the buttermilk, then add the instant coffee; stir to dissolve completely.
- Add the flour using a fine-mesh strainer and alternate with the buttermilk, until you have a smooth cake batter. Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters of the way full. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the buttercream. Mix the softened butter in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the Kahlua, instant coffee and heavy cream, then begin adding the confectioner's sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Make sure to scrap down the sides of the mixer bowl often. Add the salt and mix for another 5 minutes to get a very fluffy butter cream. Transfer frosting into a pastry bag. Once cupcakes are completely cooled, frost with butter cream.
- Store cupcakes in air-tight container in the refrigerator if not serving right away. Remove from refrigerator 1 hour before serving.
- Enjoyed this recipe? Please consider leaving me a comment or rating review to help my blog!