If you love beets, you’re going to love this easy and delicious beet potato salad! The popular “Vinaigrette” salad is a staple dish in the Eastern European cuisine, especially in Ukraine and Russia. It’s a potato salad that’s loaded with delicious, sweet beets and dill! I love dressing my salad with tasty extra-virgin olive oil and zesty champagne vinegar. Enjoy this salad as a side dish with meats or by itself with some baguette!
You can also find this recipe in my newly released cookbook, Beyond Borscht! This new cookbook features 75 Eastern European recipes from Ukraine and Russia! Get your copy today!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions and watch me put together this beet salad! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Preparing the Vegetables
This delicious beet potato salad is made with roasted or boiled potatoes, carrots and beets. Traditionally, the vegetables are boiled in salted water until tender but I love oven-roasting my veggies instead, especially for the beets. They are much heartier and more flavored when oven-roasted, versus boiled.
- For oven-roasting: place the potatoes and carrots onto a large baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Wrap the beets individually in foil so that they cook faster. Roast in the oven between 375F and 425F. They will cook faster at the higher temperature but watch the veggies carefully so they don’t burn. The vegetables need to be fork tender; the beets will take longer!
- For boiling: prepare the potatoes and carrots in one pot and the beets separately. Fill the pots with water, season generously with salt, add the veggies and bring to a simmer. Cook until fork tender, then allow the vegetables to cool before handling!
Dressing the Salad
This Eastern European salad can be dressed two different ways! Both are equally delicious! The most traditional dressing is simply salt, pepper and sunflower oil. You can also use olive oil or avocado oil. For a creamy version, try dressing the salad with a combination of mayonnaise and sour cream. I usually like to do a 3:1 ratio mayonnaise to sour cream. The sour cream adds a little bit of a tart flavor to the salad.
Enjoyed this delicious Eastern European salad recipe? Check out some of my other recipes from Ukraine and Russia!
- Ukrainian Stewed Beef & Potatoes – this easy and delicious dish is so hearty and warming! A family favorite!
- Classic Beef Borscht – the quintessential Eastern European dish! Always a hit!
- Chicken Rice Pilaf (Plov) – this aromatic rice dish is packed with flavor!
- Olivier Russian Potato Salad – the most iconic Russian salad, with potatoes, carrots, sausage, pickles and eggs! A must!
- Smoked Salmon Potato Salad – amazing seafood salad with flaky smoked salmon, salmon roe, 7-minute eggs and zesty dressing!
Share it on Pinterest!