This stunning and elegant rose cake is perfect for Valentine’s Day or your next special occasion! My uniquely flavored rose water cake is made with rose-water cake layers, rose buttercream, rose water syrup and rose marmalade filling on the inside. I garnish the cake with real red roses to make it extra special! The flavor is pleasantly floral and not overwhelming! This special pink cake is perfect for Valentine’s Day, girl baby showers, anniversaries and birthday parties!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe to see step-by-step how I make this beautiful cake! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Are Roses Edible?
Did you know that all roses petals are edible?! All varieties are edible, with the larger and darker roses having a more pronounced flavor. You can use rose petals for jams, desserts, salads, spreads and even freeze them in ice cubes for your water or drinks. When using roses, just make sure to remove the white tips from the petals, which tend to be bitter. If you plan to use roses in cooking, I recommend sourcing organically grown roses, or use home-grown flowers that are grown without fertilizer or pesticides.
How to Make a Rose Cake
Everything about this cake is rose flavored, starting with the cake and buttercream. I use a simple cake batter and buttercream, then flavor both with a rosewater extract. Rosewater has a very light and unique floral aroma and flavor, making it an excellent choice for desserts! I use this rosewater extract from Nielsen-Massey (affiliate link). It’s not overwhelming but if you’ve never tried it, try adding a few drops to a glass of water to get a feeling for the taste and strength of the extract. I went with a simple cake and buttercream recipe because I wanted the flavor to really shine through on this one! Garnish the cake with fresh, real roses – both big and small roses will look great! If you plan on keeping the cake refrigerated for a day or two, I recommend wrapping the ends of the rose stems.
Rose Marmalade Filling
To complement the delicate cake and buttercream, I add a rose marmalade or jam between the layers. Here is the jam I used in the video recipe – French Rose Petal Jam (affiliate link). If you don’t want to order from Amazon, try searching at a local speciality store that may carry specific items like it. I use 1/3 cup between each layer but feel free to add more if desired!
Enjoyed this recipe? Check out some of my other special occasion cakes!
- Blackberry Lavender Cake – decadent cake from my European Cake Cookbook, featured on NatashasKitchen.com
- Peach Zefir Torte – a stunning cake made with peach ‘marshmallow’ layers!
- Tatyana’s Torte – the most epic cake ever, made with coffee and hazelnut flavors!
- Summer Sangria Cake – one of the most popular recipes on my blog! Perfect for a special occasion!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
- Ateco Turntable – this cake decorating table is a MUST for cake bakers!
- Rosewater Extract – I love the light floral flavor of this extract!
- Rose Jam – French rose petal jam is perfect for filling this cake!
- Cake Spatulas – I used these off-set spatulas and this cake spatula for decorating.
- 8-inch Aluminum Cake Pans – these are the pans I use for my cakes.