Chinese 5-spice is one of the most unique and delicious spice blends! It’s made with cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise, and Szechwan peppercorns. My 5-spice chicken recipe is so aromatic, juicy and flavorful! The chicken is seasoned with the spices and served with a simple soy glaze. Plus, this dish is so easy to make! Serve the juicy chicken with my ‘Easy Mushroom Rice’ recipe or over a bed of simple salad! You’ll love this unique and delicious chicken dish!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details and step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Making 5-Spice Chicken
Making this chicken recipe is incredibly easy! First, pat the chicken breast dry with a paper towel. Then using your hands, rub the dry spices, along with the salt and pepper, directly into the meat. Make sure all the meat is well coated and seasoned. Fry the chicken in a hot pan for a few minutes per side, until the chicken is browned. Finish cooking the 5-spice chicken in the oven, along with cubed butter for extra moisture and some of the simple soy glaze!
The soy glaze also adds so much great flavor to this dish! It’s made with soy sauce, brown sugar or honey, water and sesame seed oil. Use half of the sauce for cooking the chicken and the second half for spooning over the chicken when you’re ready to enjoy the dish!
Rice or Salad Options
This Chinese chicken is really great with either rice or salad! You can enjoy it with plain, steamed white or brown rice. Or, enjoy it with my super easy and delicious ‘Mushroom Rice’ recipe! It’s an aromatic rice that perfectly complements this flavorful chicken recipe!
- If you prefer to enjoy it with salad, I recommend preparing a simple salad of spring greens, diced shallot, sliced cucumber and avocado, if desired. Don’t make the salad flavors too complicated, otherwise the flavors of the chicken will be lost.
Enjoyed this easy chicken recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry – the best stir-fry recipe, with loads of veggies and homemade teriyaki sauce!
- Oven-Roasted Buttermilk Chicken – marinated in buttermilk, this chicken is so juicy and flavorful!
- Avocado Chicken Egg Rolls – filled with juicy chicken, avocado and chimichurri sauce!
- Potato & Chicken Casserole – this EASY chicken dish is always a huge hit!
Share it on Pinterest!